SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IFRAME, Usability, and Browser Support?

I have a few questions about the IFRAME tag.

Per HTML Standards, does it have to have a src attribute? IE is throwing a "This page contains both secure and nonsecure items.", now that I've added it. The site is on a secure connection and has the src "/blank.html".

Are all major browser recent versions supporting it? (IE, Firefox, NN, Opera, Safari) on Windows/Mac/Linux?

I'm loading a page into it like this

Code:
    frames['idbox'].location.href='/members/af.asp?jsID='+document.nform.jsID.options[document.nform.jsID.selectedIndex].value;
    And front the iframe, I'm writing to fields in the parent like this

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript1.2">
    <!--
      window.parent.document.getElementById('FName').value='John';
      window.parent.document.getElementById('LName').value='Smith';
      -->
    </script>
    I like the revised code better, until this, I've been submitting to itself and loading fields server-side which works just as well but it makes for a rather big file. I want to make this live as soon as possible but I need to know how reliable IFRAME is, if I have to use a source and if my js looks correct for all browsers (FF/IE windows js has always been my target since my js clients all use FF or IE on windows).

Thanks a lot for any help.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go with the scripting option, remove the language attribute from the script element. Not only is it depreciated, but it will actually choke Netscape 4 and Internet Explorer 4 (since you are using getElementByID, which was not introduced until version 1.5).

I'm a bit busy at the moment, which is why I was able to only take a quick peek at your post, so I'll be back once my plate is empty (so to speak) and I have time to help you out further.

Perhaps (ideally) by then, someone else will have solved your dilemma for you.