SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Job Satisfaction forum/community

I came up with this idea the other day while driving and was wondering the legal ramifications of it.

I remember when I was interviewing with my current day job employer and was wondering about how the employees felt about working for them. I know in interviews you ask about how they like working for the company, but sometimes they just tell you the same old HR recruiting crap or outright lie if you have a skill they deperately need (I have had that happen!).

Anyway, I was thinking about starting an online community for job seekers and employees to post/whine/rave about their current employer. The site could also go even farther and offer networking options for job seekers.

But then I wondered if someone goes off on their employer or former employer, could there be some legal ramifications of hosting a site like this. Could I possibly be sued for libel, even though I didn't make the comments, but provided the forum to do so?

Thoughts?
    DoubleDrive Media
    We Bring Your Identity To Life!
    --------------------------------------
    Check out my blog that nobody reads...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrive
    Could I possibly be sued for libel, even though I didn't make the comments, but provided the forum to do so?
    I think the worst that could realistically happen is you'd have to remove 'offending' content. There were a few cases where courts said that internet publishers are not responsible for 3rd party content. On one occasion judge disagreed with it, last time I checked it was appealed and is still pending (Barrett vs. Rosenthal). That said, anyone can sue anyone for anything, so have a good disclaimer and be ready to be bullied by a large corp with deep pockets. But before you get sued they'll ask that you remove content voluntary, because in court they'll have to demonstrate that they made reasonable effort to settle the dispute out of court

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doubledrive,

If your not already aware of the following website have a look at www.linkedin.com, you mention your site could provide network opportuities for job seekers, this is very much how Linkedin works. You are able to search for empoyers /employees who work at XYZ company and contact them directly.

It's a good idea, however i think you may need to put yourself in the shoes of the employer, if they log onto the site and see their employees badmouthing the company this could be problematic.
    Last edited by r937; Jan 16, 2007 at 03:59.