SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review friends site

Hi could you review my friends site for his rope access company.

A few things before you dive in:
    After building loads of sites with tables and spacer gifs this is my first attempt at trying a full CSS site and trying to seperate the content from the layout.

My friend asked if I could keep the original logo, this made the actual colour pallet a bit of a challenge as he was very adament on keeping to these colours.

I think theres a couple of things bugging me with the layout design now it finished if you could make suggestions that would be great as I'm pretty sure I know what it is but it would be nice for someone else to come in and confirm what I'm thinking. Although I'm quite happy with the way the actual information itself is laid out.

So please feel free to critique the site a much as you like this is a learning experience for me so hopefully I'll get something from this ..... however painful it is

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ...a link maybe?
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ha ha, sorry ....... http://www.absen.co.uk

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Down near the bottom of the first page under the heading "Absen Rope Access" you have "THE UK No1 CHOICE". I think it should be "THE UK's NO.1 CHOICE."

Site Nav links at the bottom of "Services" page aren't links. I think you should also Capitalize the first letter of every word. You might also think about using a different link color since you have static text on some of your pages, specifically "Services", which are the same color as the links. Kind of confusing. Also think about setting the bottom nav links off to make them more obviously links. Possibly a pipe | character between each one.

Stephen

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The words at the bottom are just so search engines will pick you up. Its not very attractive. I would hide them better. Its also going to get you blackmarked on search engines if they catch you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Thanks for the comments guys. I was under the impression from other sources that these links at the bottom if not overdone would be ok, they were disabled on the services page as this is where they all link to.

Although I think I'll remove these links, I'm really trying to be as ethical as possible with my SEO so anything thats seen otherwise really has to go in my view.

Any comments on the design itself? Like I said theres a couple of elements with the design that seem to be bugging me, but I'm not sure if it's just bugging me or everyone else who visits the site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your friend belong to any association? Add in the association logo may attract users.

Add in more pictures such as type of ropes....

Show the contact number such as telephone number in the front page.

Overall, I quite like the design.
    www.propertybytube.com

My new beta testing website

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that propertybytube, IRATA is the association he belongs to which is shown further down the page.

Good common sense idea on the phone number, although I might see if I can incorporate it into the heading graphic somewhere so it appears on all the pages.

I did have a crack at the pictures for equipment etc although they kept looking very 'stock photo', I might have another go with something original.

Thanks for the comments

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good!

I like the pastel colors, and it does give a good sense of the service. Only thing that stands out is the background photo seems a little low-res, but maybe that is intentional?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that 3PointRoss, I might have a play and see how much I can push the bg photo, the main reason was down to keeping the image file size small but there might be quite a difference in quality depending on what res it's viewed on which is something I'll have to look into.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks good. Could look a little more professional though.
    80-90% off your favorite retail products!
    www.MoeBids.com

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get some more content for the site,then the site will be more SEO.Add in more pictures and graphics so it will be attractive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice site! Very simple, didn't overcomplicate the issue. This is what a small business site should entale, "Get to the point and get there quick". Very nice job!
    Chris Blackwell - my blog and ramblings
    Comicville - Daily News and Comic Reviews

"web development is what I love...so that's what I do"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'll just tell you a few (2) things that bugged me:
    - The yellow "blob" in the background is screaming for my attention. The site would look better without it, imho.
    - I think you should underline your links to make it really obvious that they're links.

Nice job on the site so far!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments guys ...... even the critisms help, I'll be seeing my friend in a few days so I'll pass the comments through to him and see which he wants to go through with, there are a couple of comments that I'll be working on for sure.

I'm not 100% on the next step for the pictures, I do like the idea but I know from experience being a manager myself and watching over my company owners shoulder if we've been looking for B2B sites say for an extraction system as we were earlier in the year we'll pick off 'x' amount of sites and pretty much speed read all of them which almost brings the value of an image to zero unless it's going to illustrate a service to us better than text would. I do agree on pushing the asthetics of a site if it's for public use but a lot of B2B enquiries are done by people on deadlines who have little patience to wait for pictures to load.

Thanks again

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Verry well done site, simple and to the point just like a busines site should be. And I agree with the others about the contact info you should have it on almost every page, when im looking for someone to do bussines with I do not want to have to hunt down their contact info.
    Maybe a few more pictures would help. Nice job keep up the good work.
    Grinding out the websites
    www.groundupwebdesigns.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ken,

I felt that overall the site was to the point and straightforward to navigate, a big plus for SMB sites that sometimes are over-complicated for no good reason.

Style wise, it's nice and clean, also personally I'm not too much into that purple color - but I understand that's part of their logo and image and you therefore had to go with it - we've all experienced that ;D

I think the links page is a bit of a double edge sword - on one hand yes it could be handy on the other I fear it's going to stay empty for a long time and therefore look bad - after all who is going to link to a building maintenance site? Usually SMB sites don't have the flexibility to do it on their own - they have to go through their graphic designers, which cost money and therefore might not be an attractive proposition.

Overall, I feel the site is a success, should be a happy client ;-D

Cheers,

-----------
    Stephan Tual - Beyond blogging
    <url removed - please use your signature>
    Last edited by Varelse; Sep 5, 2006 at 02:40.