SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question about submitting a site to DMOZ

Hi there,

I want to try and get my site listed on DMOZ, but I've just read a bit of the agreement you have to abide by when you submit your site, and I'm slightly un-nerved by it.

It says "To grant Netscape Communications Corporation a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, publish, copy, edit, modify, or create derivative works from my submission." What does this actually mean?

Cheers for your help

James

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redhillccwebmas
    It says "To grant Netscape Communications Corporation a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, publish, copy, edit, modify, or create derivative works from my submission." What does this actually mean?
    By the time your site finally makes it onto DMOZ you'll have grown old, retired and won't care any more.

My understanding of it would be that your 'submission' is not your actual website, but the several lines of text that you have written to describe your website in the DMOZ directory. The text you 'submit' is subject to approval and editing by the volunteer DMOZ editors, and the clause you highlighted would give them permission to make the changes they want and publish the modified description. If they get it all wrong and misrepresent your business then they have covered their a$$es.

Paul

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds right.
    I used to be a Dmoz editor but took off due to the internal bickering, politics, favortism, and elitism.

It's a crap shoot as to whether you'll get a submission reviewed and entered, as it's all up to the whims of the area editors.

Plus DMOZ isn't that important anymore.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography