SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A client thats impossible to get ahold of

I have a client who I've managed to build quite a successful reality site for. He uses the sites news feature and updates properties regularly. I believe he even has a small staff adding and editing content. His site has actually been a great source of revenue for me because he is always asking for new features and improvements.

However, as the title suggests heís impossible to get in contact with. Occasionally he'll drop me a line asking for new work, which Iíll do, then he wonít get around to paying me for a few weeks! He recently contacted me for new work, and about this time I also informed him he has to renew his hosting with me. I have a response from him in an email saying to send the bill on paypal to renew, but I havenít heard from him since. I try to be polite and send an email or leave him a message occasionally, but it can be days / weeks before he gets back to me. His site is set to expire at the end of the month and if I donít hear back from him then it most certainly will be going offline.

Itís driving me nuts! Donít get me wrong though, Iíve made quite a bit of money working on his site. But, the fact that he is simply to busy to talk with the person who built his site actually making sales on homes ranging from 100 to 500k dollars is insulting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is quite simple: inform him that you've changed your policies and charge him ahead for the updates. Until he doesn't pay you, don't move a finger. I think he'll be making time for you pretty fast.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would require up front payment in full before making the changes live. Considering your client's history, I would even suggest taking payment in full before starting the work!

Also depending on how regular the work is, you might consider approaching him about a monthly retainer. Get his credit card on file with his authorization to process it each month and you won't have to worry about chasing him down.

-Costas
    In order to understand recursion
    one must first understand recursion

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely go for a retainer. If he doesn't want a regular monthly one, just take a large lump sum in advance to cover work for the next, say, 3 months or whatever.

Remind him that you are a small businessman, and cash flow is important to you, so you can't wait around for payment especially after you've already completed work.

As for the impending hosting renewal, there's a thread discussing the ins and outs of this already.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413576