SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Design Improvements

I'm not happy, even after a few redesigns, with the layout and design of The Wizard of Duke Street.

While I want to preserve the "fannish" look of the site, and don't want to move toward a much more professional look, some more clarity and better layout is definitely necessary.

Any and all suggestions or critiques are welcome.

Drew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would start with decreasing your font size. It would make everything look much cleaner. And then I would also make the header half the size!
    Last edited by maartenvr; Aug 19, 2006 at 08:54.
    Maarten

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maartenvr
    I would start with decreasing your find size. It would make everything lopok much cleaner. And then I would also make the header half the size!
    Both excellent points, thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man I really need to check my spelling before I post... I guess Firefox 2.0 will take care of that soon!
    Maarten

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in your delicious tags box, the very right site of the text is getting cut off for me. baseball becomes basebal, art is seen as ar, etc.

i don't really like how the news items have so much padding on the top and bottom inside the border. i would decrease that and maybe add some more margini between the bottom of each box and the next headline.

overall, it is a functional layout that servers its purpose well.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers, that's a lot of help. I can't believe I never thought of reducing the size of the header before!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I view the site, it is defaulting to my default system font so most of the site is not readable. Whatever font you are using for the content I must not have on my mac.

Also, maybe mix in just a bit more color to set some things off here and there. Right now, the site looks very uniform to me so certain sections to not stand out as they probably should.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Windows XP, and all the pages under "Categories" are unreadable.
    The font could be a bit smaller. And, for aesthetic purposes, maybe you could enlarge and even decorate the borders around "Flag Framing & The Conflict Web," "More on RMT," etc. The simple outlines are too scant compared to the in-depth illustrations at the top of the page. Also, the words "The Wizard of Duke Street" look good, but they should be in a box or something; they are just floating at the top of the homepage. The annotation, "A collection of essays, reviews and commentary on fantasy, science-fiction, gaming, and associated genres," is very good; it concisely informs the viewer what your website is about. But again, it would look neater it were inside a rectangle. The site kinda feels like a blog 'cuz the homepage is so long, but everything is tidy and organized. It's a bit jarring to read white on black; maybe you could temper the color scheme a bit by making it a dark chocolate brown, or make the fonts a slightly duller color. The yellow looks good, though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. "A collection of essays, reviews and commentary on fantasy, science-fiction, gaming, and associated genres." - On both IE6 and FF2 for windows this text is bumping into the links under "Wizard's Best." I would leave the banner div for just the banner, and inlcude that text at the top of the content div. That way it would wrap nicely.
    2. the del.icio.us tags are cut off for me as well. Don't know how it's done, so don't have a fix.
    3. The right column, starting with "Wizard's Best" needs work. IMO, the top of the right and left columns should be vertically flush. "Wizard's..." is way higher than the adsense block on the left (also why the tag in your banner div is bumping into it). Also, after the "Wizards best section, you have an amazon link and then an about the author link and then external links. No offense, but most people don't want to buy a book from you, and nobody cares about the author until they've finished the book. Recent articles and categories should come first, IMO. That's ostensibly why people are here, no?

Cheers,
    Pat

SitePoint Enthusiast Joshimitsu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty good ad placement there, it looks just like content, although its a bit dark, the whole thing. I suggest improving on that if possible? Maybe make the content background a different shade?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the Wizard

I love this site! The dark background and golden text is nice. For some reason it isn't hard to read like most site with black backgrounds and white font. I also like the different sized text and color of the table on the left(the blue ones). But, the middle table is crowding it and you can't see the last few letters of each word. I liked the header alot.
    The only thing that was less than wonderful is the center table. It's too large and the font is kind of gaudy because of the size. It's also a bit generic just being bordered boxes with text.
    I loved it though.
    I'd rather eat chocolate than a kidney pie...