SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Please review- Alton Towers Mania

Hello,
    This is my website. It's a fan - website about a UK theme park - Alton Towers.

Please review it and tell me what you think. Some features are currently down but I am working to get them up asap.

http://www.atmania.com

Thanks

Neil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say it looks "ok". Nothing spectacular or unique. There are some details that need to be worked out such as the padding in the left bar.

I am not too crazy about the legit blue font in the dark blue background. It is readable, but does not look right.

I think I would also completely remove that Flash on the home page. That, or make it more exiting...
    Maarten

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tested on WINXP, Firefox & IE7 Beta3,

Looks pretty good. I agree with maartenvr about the font color. I think white or very light grey(#ccc) would be better on the links in the main theme. 5px padding-left added to the a.nav class would get your links off of the side, which would be a big help.

Having the scoll bar in the latest news frame looks weird. Think about a way to seperate the two news catagories so that they aren't dependant on being small enough to fit in the same frame without the scroll bar showing.

On the Park History page the Alton Towers logo's file size is 40kb. My eye was drawn to it becuase it didn't load instantly. You should be able to cut that down to under 5kb without obvious degradation. I opened it in Firewoks and to re-export it at 100% was still only 16kb.

The dowload page items have some weird spacing going on.

The image on the map page could lose some weight. I reduced the file size to 80kb. You should be able to get away with this since you have a larger version for people to look at if they really want to find something.

Great looking site overall. Just some little stuff that could use touching up.

Stephen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your suggestions. I will optimise a couple of the sites images and add the padding in the navigation bar. Did you try out the different themes? I do like the light blue therefore will be keeping it. - Sorry.

Thanks - There are a few other bugs which i know about and will be sorted when i have time..
    Thanks again.

Neil

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did try out the other themes. No real issues with the color. The on problem that I did see is that in some cases the ?page= value isn't passed when clicking on the theme link. It is a bit of a problem if you change themes and the page you where on isn't there anymore.

Stephen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that is an ongoing problem which i will be orting out. I ahve half resolved it. the problem is now only occuring on the rides pages, area pages and one other.

Thanks again.

Any more comments from anyone else?

Thanks

Neil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    Just a small update. I have now added the 5px padding to the a.nav class and the links on the navbar look a lot better. I have also made them match the style of the main links at the top of that bar. I still have to optimise the images but there not the most important thing at the moment. I added a new feature today where visitors can submit content for review to be added to pages. This can be found at the bottom of any page!

Thanks

Neil

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

I generally like the look of your site, and it's always cool to have a stylesheet selector. Good work!

However, I have some quibbles:
    - The "Random Tip" box desperately needs some padding (.nav).
    - Same goes for the yellowish box on top of the main page.
    - There's a bug that makes the main content disappear if you try to change the style on the main-page. It's caused by wrong formating of the querystring: "?page=&style=oblivionstyle" <-- you need to drop the "page=&" there or assign a page id to the main page. It works fine on the other pages because there page= will have content..
    - On the link page I suggest you drop the "Click here"-links and instead use the name of the sites as the link text. And an unordered list is probably better than a table for presenting the links.
    - This is just a minor thing, but I'm not too happy with how "The Story of Alton Towers DVD" and "Newsletter" boxes are aligned on the mainpage. I'd rather see them grouped together in a table with the same vertical alignment.
    - I think the form-elements on the "contact us" page has too little width. Especially the "comments" textarea. Doesn't look quite right in my eyes.

And a final (important) point:
    - The (main) page has 31 validation errors and no proper character encoding declared. You probably want to look into that.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site looks good, but the front page could use a more fun feel. I like map of the park. That looks like a real amusement park map (maybe it is). If you could have that look in more parts of the site, it would look great.
    A site for regional web administrators: Adminsphere.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Thanks for the comments. GrimFandango, I think i will take on board all of your suggestions and sort them out later today. The map is infact the official park map for this year.

Thanks

Neil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heya all,
    I ahve done a few changes to my site since last time. I have added padding to all the elements suggested. Add a new theme, the colour is a bit sickly though. Trying to add a google map to the site and fixed a bug on the theme changer though there is another bug with that which I will be fixing. I have not optimised any of the graphics yet thoguh but i will do sometime - i hope!

Thanks

Neil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi.... I remember seeing you posting some questions regarding the build in the PHP forums, and it looks like all the functionality has turned out well .
    I do think you should possibly try rewriting your URL's to make them more user friendly?
    Design-wise:
    I think your spacing on the paragraphs and tables through out the site could be tightened up a little.
    You should maybe go for a more "fun" family orientated look, as they have done on the main Alton Towers site. Otherwise, good going for your first site.
    The logo colours should possibly change along with the differentt themes?

This is all of course, just my humble opinion.
    D