SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conflict of Interest - Should you offer exclusive rights that customer can buy?

Just wondering how others cope with conflict of interest. I'm sure this happen quite often in a web design industry.

If you are designing a website and then their competitors ask you to design a site for them as well. Would you take the offer or leave it? Especially, if they raises concern about it. Is there legal implication for this issue?

Will it be a good idea to get them to sign exclusive rights for a certain amount of money which will secure them that you won't do site in similar market. The problem then, how will you clasify this rules?

Cheers

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at this existing, identical discussion, 11 topics down:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401991

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good thread shadowbox, but I think you meant 10 down. #11 is kind of funny

paxie, if you are asked to clone a competing site, whether it belongs to your client or not, to do so is a dis-service to your new client as well as to the owner of the old one.

Each site should define the concerns and business of its owner. While two sites may sell fruit, one may sell apples and oranges and the other may focus on pineapples and bananas.

Every site needs to have a "unique marketing statement", that is, a reason why visitors should choose to visit it over competing sites. Simply tell the "new" client that you will design a site that defines their business and brings in their target market.

Many designers focus on designing for a single market niche. If you look around at peoples portfolios, you'll find similar sites in many of them.

As far as offering exclusive rights that a customer can buy --- I never "sell" rights to anything. I license them and that happens at the time of the initial contract. My customers always know exactly what they get for the money they pay.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown