SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Layout] Sailing website

This is my initial layout design for a sailing website I am undertaking.
    the idea is to have a very simplistic & open feel, hence a lot of white space.
    The content will be kept to the left side as shown. The header will have various images for different sections. The grey area to the right of the nav bar will extend fully across the page. Any advice/opinions on the layout will be very helpfull. Also, I was thinking of making the side navigation bar with flash to incorporate some kind of fancy rollover for the buttons so any advice on that is great.

Thankyou
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AShrub; Aug 18, 2006 at 19:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, First impression. Very Clean, very white, nothing majorly wrong with the design - just a few pointers.

1. I think the masthead is way to long - it seems alot of wasted space above your logo - why not decrease the white space - and sit the logo more vertically central. at present the total heading measures "342px High" - which is rather large.

2. The green used on the font - is a little illuminous try using a more subtle yellowy/green maybe something like this: "#9BC802"

3. There is a huge amount of white space to the right of the content - maybe you could stretch the text longer - or perhaps add a nice image on the right - or perhaps some google adwords.

Apart from that - I like it.

Keep up the good work.

Webby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with webby007, the green highlight is a bit overbearing. You can also use a lighter shade of blue like #3399cc that will tone in well with your header graphic. You may also use the greenish color in your logo.

I also agree with the whitespace next to the content. You can't leave it like that cause it makes your design feel empty, like its missing something.

Other than that a very pleasing design. The white and blue really works well here because it is strongly associated with sailing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, I think the colors fit with the logo very well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the layout and colours, but perhaps a better image relating to sailing would suit the purpose better.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the shapes you chose are really very appropriate, they have the feel of a ship plowing through water. The dark blue is too dark to me. I like the generous white space on top, it separates all the junk of the browser window from the site, creates a space of calm. Nice design - Datura
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about putting the logo into the header, now it floats independently somewhere over the design. It just reminds me banner ad which was brutally put on my website by my freehoster

And the gray area in header will be filled by a pic related to the section or it will remain grey?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say as my first impression: an old site; it's kind of plain.