SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WebDesignPress Project Design

I posted here because the site is online and not a screenshot (As said in the guidelines). Anyway I need some opinions on my new project's site layout. And Just the layout please. I already have someone currently working on the CMS and backend of the site.

Please give me some comments, questions and suggestions on how it is and how to improve. Does it look professional, would you come back?

http://www.webdesignpress.com/

The site is incomplete
    eFlair Design | Premium Design Services and Web Consultation

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not a bad layout. However, it does take a while to load. And I am not sure about the gray area at the top on the sides. It is not even with the header and doesn't really add any aesthetic quality. It might look good if it was even with the header, or probably just be better omitted.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its really, really, really crowded...its organized...but when you first see it, its like "whoa!!!, what do i do?!"

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm1982
    Its really, really, really crowded...its organized...but when you first see it, its like "whoa!!!, what do i do?!"
    How can I make it not so crowded?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The over usage of green on the nav bar is just that... overused. The green and blue go well together and you site "looks" good from a color stand point. Perhaps use the green to highlight certain areas or important menu items and make the rest dark grey or black with a green rollover.

Modifying the colors/font will make it less crowded... (does that make sense ?)

Mike.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried it but it still looks crowded with colour changes. I'm going to have the redesign the site to make it look not so crowded

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already saw this site and expressed my admiration for the nice layout. Even if I preach for a 2-3 colours cromatic theme, I have to confess this entire rainbow you use looks amazing. I do like the layout. You've done a nice job with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like other people say, its too crowded, the navigation down the left hand side of the site adds alot to the look of being overcrowded i think. Maybe dont have gaps where the blur background is visible between every link? I think if it was all one green/silver 'blocl' of colour it would appear much less busy.
    Web Host Advice - Under Development

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the colors work very well together. It presents a professional appearance, but *really* needs some more white space. I agree that it is a bit too busy and hard to find your way around.

I take it you have abandoned the 800x600 resolution crowd? I think the trend is in that direction, but I am not certain that the time is right to do so.

Generally speaking, I think if you open the white space up a bit it will look much better.
    Web Design, Marketing, Etc .............

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your nice reviews.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your using tables? I'd suggest using CSS. It can help your page load faster and you can use it to replace images with code (such as borders/solid color areas). Also makes modifying your site a lot easier in the long run. In terms of looks, it looks nice, but I agree there needs to be a bit more white space.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    too crowded gets my vote. why does everyone want to throw everything on the front page?

I still say the front page should be used as a billboard, where you basically have a matter of seconds to attract a user and get them tpo come inside your site.

When I see sites like this I run!!!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it - It's a clean layout with a good color scheme.

I don't think it is too crowded, while web 2.0 "whitespace" is the trend, sometimes you have to add a few more items to display the content your site offers.

The trick is making sure that what is most important is obvious. I would play around with the weight/size of the headings so you could highly what you want users to pay attention to the most - as it stands right now it looks like the poll (which I doubt is most important) has the same weight as everything else.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK thanks for your reviews. I am currently going through the suggestions and I am going to remove the top right menu section. Then I am going to change the right hand side column to light grey. Will this help?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well...

The design has some aesthetic attributes, but it takes too long to load...

anyhow, the site is great. By the way, no flash elements??

ciao

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, very crowded layout with a ton of content. When it first loaded, I was like "holy crap!, Where do I go?"

You should really look into simplifying the layout just a bit so that it is easier to find things and scan through your content. I like the layout, the colors, etc. but your content is much too crowded. Also, maybe look into some darker font colors on your side navigation to make things stand out a little better.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reviews, I'll probably remake the layout with a more simple touch.