User Tag List

winter is around the corner Tomer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opening new business

Hey guys,

I'm currently developing a eCommerce website. For this I need to open a merchant account, and for that I need a US business checking account. For that I need a business licence, a DBA licence [I think], as the bussiness name is not my real name. I'm also not sure if I need a sellers liecence.

The business will be owned by me only, so sole proprietorship. I understand I don't need to do anything for this, as it's assumed.

So anyways, I just wanted to verify this is what I need, maybe I don't need part of these stuff. Also are there any websites that can fill all these documents for me?

Thanks
    - Tomer

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you need a US checking account? There's plenty of merchant providers in Europe, can you not find a suitable one in your country?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need a US account for an eCommerce site. You should be able to set everything up in your own country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should also check to see what kinds of legal certifications and licenses you will need in your area. From what I know, Sole Proprietorship and DBA are terms that apply to conducting business in the United States. The actual forms, registrations, and hoops that must be jumped through could be entirely different for conducting business in your country/region/locality.

If your country/province/whatever has an informational site, go there first. Or, call your local government clerk and find out from them.
    Last edited by pdxi; Aug 17, 2006 at 09:35. Reason: Misuse of the English language. D'oh!
    Jeffrey Hunt, freelance PHP & MySQL developer
    Resume: http://www.jeffreyhunt.org/resume/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing business in the US, our office will be located there, and our clients will be US. So can anyone help me with the questions?

- Tomer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your office is going to be in the US, I assume that you are moving to the US to run the business.

You are aware that many companies are based in Europe who sell to US citizens. There is no need to set up a US company to run an eCommerce site targeted to the US. All you really need to do is setup your company to accept US funds for payment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan on making it a US business, so can anyone help me with the questions I have? Thanks

- Tomer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of these things you need in the US are local. For example, my business license comes from the CITY I live in... it's not a national thing. The business license is what verifies my DBA.

So, it would depend on where in the US you are wanting to start.

Missy

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Missy said it. There are different laws for city, county, state and national governments. Some places you will need to get a business license and file a DBA, others maybe not. Most banks in the US now require a business license and proper documentation (for instance, Articles of Incorporation if you are a c-corp). Most of this started post-911 when they started to really crack down on the banking industry. The last business account I opened (beginning of this year) I had to provide my drivers license (identification), articles of organization (LLC), business license, DBA and provide my EIN (Employer Identification Number).

Your best bet is to contact an attorney or accountant in the area you intend to do business in - they'll know the local requirements.