SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh no!!! Drastic data loss!

I have just experienced a catastrophic loss of data and about to cry...sos omeone please console me and tell me if I can fix this.

I've been having some problems with XP to the point that I was sick of dealing with the sluggishness and unreliability. I think I screwed it up. It has nothing to do with the OS.

So I went to do my 2 CD backup yesterday because I was going to uninstall Windows. I proceeded to erase the previous data from the CD-RW's (which is the usual way I do my backups).

Then I had a brilliant idea (sorta). I decided to go in and reformat a 6 GB hard drive that was in the PC, formatted for Linux and awaiting an install whenever I got around to it. Instead I made it a FAT32 volume and copied all my data there. Okay, so far so good.

I format the C: drive to reinstall WinXP. No problem. Then I decide I'm going to Ghost it with NOrton's Ghost. I make a Ghost boot disk and decide, heck, let's just ghost the image to the D: drive (the 6 Gig) and keep it all together. I'll just use the 6 Gig as my backup volume. Okay, still, no problem. For some reason the generic mouse driver that is put in the autoexec.bat on the Ghost boot disk doesn't work so I'm forced to use the keyboard. Still, no problem. I decide to take my time and make sure I don't ghost the wrong drive...reading every screen very carefully...etc.

Okay, so I get the settings there. Then I see that the 6 Gig will be automatically overwritten. Well, shoot, I don't want that. I haven't copied my data to the C: drive yet. So I hit ESC to exit and go back. Ummm.....ESC started the dang thing! What do you know? I stopped the process as quickly as I could but when I rebooted to XP to copy my data, my data was GONE!

So now I have erased all my data in DOS mode without any Norton's protecting it. How do I get it back??? Can I get it back??? I am afraid to hear the answer, but please if someone has an idea tell me! I'll even buy a program. Most of my stuff I can live without. My sites, I can sync back to the hard drive. But most critical is my Outlook.pst file has all my appointments, contacts, address book and email records. I wish I had a PDA to sync it back, but I don't. Any ideas?

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about what happened...that happened to be once and I know how you feel.

If you stopped it before it did much, you might be able to repair the partition. I think there are some apps that can do that for you, but I'm not sure.

Or maybe professional data recovery people can get data back from CD-RWs...worth a try...

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That happened to me about a mth ago, I tired to format a NTFS hard drive, but DOS didn't pick it up, and assigned my backup hard-drive (which was fat32) as the c drive and formatted that.

I know there are programs out there that can recover data, but I don't know them off the top of my head. Maybe you should try using Google to find some?

But unlucky man, I know exactly what your feeling

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of reformatting, my computer just went nuts yesterday. Had to load the whole thing over again.

Like d said, there are programs that can see data even after its been "deleted" but I can't think of the name. If I come across it, I will post it.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)