User Tag List

Thread: Nested Tables

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nested Tables

I am using fireworks 4 to make a template for a website.
    Problem i am having is when i slice it up to indicate where the tables are going to be and then go into dreamweaver, as soon as i type in text in the middle table it pulls all the over tables around- hence the graphics move and have huge gaps !
    Basically i have a graphic on the top and on the left of the canvas with a big slice in the middle.
    When in dreamweaver i delete the slice in the middle so i can type in text. When i do this the whole table goes crazy and if the text goes on further than the size of the slice it pulls all the other tables around and makes huge gaps in the graphics.
    How can i get around this?

Please help
    Add your web design / hosting companies to my directory - Web Hosting Directory
    Want to join our panel of experts? - Hosting Forums ( top right of forums -expert drop down box for more info ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when dealing with sliced images, i recommend always setting each cell's width and height to corrospond with the image inside of it. and make sure that if you set a table to, say 150 width, the cells inside it add up to 150. otherwise it will mess up.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

???

Originally posted by geiger
    when dealing with sliced images, i recommend always setting each cell's width and height to corrospond with the image inside of it. and make sure that if you set a table to, say 150 width, the cells inside it add up to 150. otherwise it will mess up.

But what do i do if i want a cell or nested table in the middle that will have text in it that constantly changes ( so i cannot say all the cells will add up to the table width and height ).
    So that all the other slices stay in place and i can change the text on a weekly basis without it disrupting the webpage?
    Add your web design / hosting companies to my directory - Web Hosting Directory
    Want to join our panel of experts? - Hosting Forums ( top right of forums -expert drop down box for more info ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds as though you are using a liquidic (i.e. percentage-based) template. I would recommend going with a non-liquidic (i.e. absolute width) web page template. Personally, I find percentages difficult to work with; using exact widths and heights are much easier, I find.

Additionally you will not have to worry about your "text problem;" since the table/page is an absolute width, the text will be displayed so it fits inside a given cell. The other obvious advantage to this is the page is not dependent on the user's screen resolution.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

It seems to work better for me if I build the table structure in Dreamweaver and just export the images out of Fireworks. Is it a real complex table structure? Plus you can designate a slice as text in Fireworks and then it won't export and image for the table cell (I haven't checked what it does to height and width values for the cell).

FWIW: that is what I've found that works best for my situations. But I don't generally build tables with more than 2 or possibly 3 nestings.