User Tag List

Thread: Review Me

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review Me

Please review my site i'm looking for some criticism and contructive comments. Personally there are things about it i don't like however other people do like, so i'd like more opinions. Thanks.

Nintendo Wii Forums
    Last edited by laserlives; Sep 13, 2006 at 19:40.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    clever domain name; nice layout.

i don't like the scrollbars in the news items. browsers come with a scrollbar built in for a reason; creating new scrollbars is just a pain for the user.

my screen is 1280 pixels wide, but i usually keep my browser window at about 800px. for windows with widths that size, the image at the top spills over into the grey margin. you could avoid that by making that image a background of a div so it would be dynamically resized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice domain and good integration with IPB forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure I like the red, its kinda bright, maybe try a darked shade of red? thats just my opinion.

Not a fan of the in page scrollbars either, at least they don't seem to be iframe's. Maybe a hidden dropdown div might work better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I love how the site is integrated fully with the main website and it all works very well together. The calendar is a great feature but the bright red is very bright on the eyes, especially for users using a TFT monitor with their brightness up 100%. Maybe darken it slightly although i do think the 3d, crystal effect used on those heading bars gives off a nice effect which would be complemented by a change in colour. Also, Great name for a website! - Shame about George Harrisons announcement though in TP.

Thankyou

Neil

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site, I like the colours and the integrating the simplicity. I also like the forum skin.
    eFlair Design | Premium Design Services and Web Consultation

SitePoint Enthusiast mile-jerkovic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    layout looks good, everything in place, nice big buttons in top navigation, nicely boxed content. I don't know if you changed red color in the meantime, looks fine to me.

You don't have many images, so you could do what Aardvark said - put them as background of parent element ('Site navigation' heading breaks if resized).
    I would align 'Welcome (login/register)' to the right for better visibility.
    Instead of scrolling boxes for news, you can use expandable DIVs or TRs (see moo.fx)

Body text size is too small for me - you don't have to enlarge it, but at least you can define text size in % for IE users to resize text without problems.
    Change the favicon.

Hope I helped
    ▀▄▀▄▀
    ▀▄▀▄▀

▀▀

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site looks terrific. I love the wide screen view. Your use of colors is very nice, with a good combination of eye catching areas of color with a more neutral background.

I think you are on the right track to a great website.
    Web Design, Marketing, Etc .............

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks good. The red is definately in your face but not enough for me to close the browser. After navigating a few pages on the site I still don't know what wii is or stands for. Obviously something nitendo related... perhaps a one liner to the right of the logo would do the trick. Good looking site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Nice design

Good job...the color combination make your site more attractive.
    You have done an easy job...now get ready for some hard work..marketing!(Spend some money)
    Good luck

Regards
    MTS

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good to me. Maybe if you added a bg pattern resembling squares it would match the header.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to chime in with the others here. Very nice site! The color-scheme is excellent (red, black, grey) and the layout / navigation is very intuitive.

Only two things I don't like:
    - As somebody already mentioned, the scrollbars for the news-items is kind of annyoing. Better to have a "read more" link that leads to the full news-item if you're worried about space conservation.
    - Not sure I like #ff0000 as the text-color for comments in the news-items. Maybe it's just me, but I find it kind of stressful to read red text on a white/light grey background. I think it's better reserved for urgent messages..

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site, but the whole scrollbars drives me crazy in the news items. Its just a pain and I don't them. Also, personally, I see that some have posted above the big large buttons, but to be honest I don't like them. It makes me feel like I have changed fonts while going on your site. and it just seems to throw things off!

Though the site, domain, and everything else is off to a great start! Best of luck to you!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you did a great job on the domain name like someone already said. Also great layout presentation with the forums. I do think that it'd be better to not use the scrollbars for the news -- perhaps just a few news topics with a paragraph or so and a link to view the rest of the news? Either that or something where it auto-scrolls like on IGN.com

Pragmatic Programmer halfasleeps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think it looks good, the red looks good but theres some parts where there is tons of text in red and i dont like that part the big bodies of text i dont think should be red, i would add some rollovers to the main buttons, and in my opinion i like the body margin set to 0....its kindof a pet peeve when the page has that lil gap lol.
    Altoona Design
    Freelance Flex developer for hire.
    ActionScript Programmer with 8 Years Experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks pretty good. The red is nice but sticks out too much. Try using a gradient to ease it a bit more. Also the scrollbar is a bit annoying, because when I use the scroll wheel on my mouse it scrolls in one of those boxes, instead of scrolling down the site. Also to spicen it up a bit, try adding rollovers to the navigation bars. Again this works well and looks great with gradients. Hope this helps a bit.
    eBackers
    Connect with web professionals, online biz, startups and more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's rather nice, the red is the only concern really, it hurts my pupils! (i'm not talking school children) - though it hurt's their eyes to

Apart from that, good work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work! I am a fan of red and black and I think that looks great. That's a great domain as well