SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tips for designing a high school reunion page?

I'm currently trying to get a high school reunion web site designed for my brother. A classmate of his set up a form for classmates to send registration information through. I'm thinking of just a simple design, but semi professional looking.

I would like to know if its tables that are used to do sidebar menus? I could probably just do a text menu at the top and bottom. My brother said it doesn't need to be professional.

I would show the site, but for some reason,its not coming up (well, it is hosted by a free web host).

The site would have the following:

- News (not sure if I can do this with a php script or not. i have looked up scripts at various sites, but I am not sure if the free web host supports certain requirements. Registering a domain name and getting a host would be a last resort.)

- Registration form (to send in address, phone number, etc)

- Possibly a private forum for classmates to chat

So if anyone has a suggestion for a simply designed high school reunion site, please feel free to post.

p.s. I have several html books, so I do have references to look at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you truly are clueless, eh?

navigation menus are made by graphics, html, flash, java, javascript... really anything. if you don't know much about html or web design i recommend you let someone else do this project while you develop some skills.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a little bit about html. I am insulted that you said someone else should do this.

My brother asked me to do this design for him.

I think I'll just try doing this myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i did not mean to make you feel insulted. i apologize greatly.

i assumed that your brother needed something sooner rather than later, and as a courtesy to him i thought it would benefit him most to get it faster. but if he is not in a rush to recieve a design, then there is no reason why you can't do it yourslef. if you would excuse my previous comment...

for news, it may be easiest to just update it manually. php will require a real host and is a bit more complicated. for navigation, it is a good idea to start out with a table about 150 px wide and divide it into rows. you can then adjust the text to suit you and your links.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the apology.....I guess I got a little defensive. My brother wants the design by late January, so I have approximately two months to get it all ready. (Plus he is paying me and I am charging less than a really professional site would cost.

Well, the host I have does support php4 according to its main index site, but I may have to switch over to a different host. The problem with that is that I need an ad-free free host and there are very few of those.

I suppose that a php script would be hard, I was just planning to have it on the main page, and well, I thought it would be easier to use a script than to do it manually (I've neglected updating my own personal site -- which I updated manually).

Well, thanks for the suggestion. i think I better go find a different free web host with no ads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i highly doubt you will find a free quality web host with php and without ads. there may not be one on the web!

php news is easier for those who know how to manage it, not for those who will have a harder time implimenting it then just doing it manually

if you need any additional help, please feel free to contact me. i'm a relatively experienced web designer.

jason