SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Help with a Nightmare Client...

Iíve had a situation come up with a former client, and Iím wondering what you would do if you were dealing with this.

This former client is one I actually had to fire (or I quit, however youíd like to look at it) after months of lack of payment and violation of about a gajillion of the terms of our contract. The client ran up hundreds of dollars in overdue fees, (which I waived in an effort to show good faith), and then finalized our working relationship with a letter stating that, basically, I wasnít worthy of the air I breathed.

I have never, ever had something like this happen before. All my other clients have been thrilled with my work, and every client Iíve had up to this point has become a friend. But this client had absolutely no concept of timely payment, honoring contracts, or honoring my work.

So now I find myself in a dicey situation.

This client has gone out and hired a high-powered web design firm to take over her site. A firm with SEO experts, bookkeepers, and web designers who have endless degrees listed after their names.

The general manager of this firm contacted me Friday, demanding all the usernames, passwords, letters of permission for stock photos, etc, that are associated with my former clientís account.

But hereís my problem:

The only money I make in my business, (and itís miniscule), is through hosting several clientsí sites on one hosting account. Most of these sites are five pages or less, with very little traffic. Thereís no way they each need 100 GB of dedicated storage and 1,000 GB of monthly transfer volume. But this high-powered firm is requesting the host username and password for my former clientís account. (The client paid for hosting through December of this year.)

I canít give that to this manager without exposing my other clientsí details in the process.

And if I transfer the former clientís domain, etc. to a dedicated package, I lose more money on top of the hundreds Iíve already lost.

If you were me, what would you do?????

Iíd love to hear your thoughtsÖ.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    give them the files and move on, its not worth your time

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cancel your client's hosting contract, send them the site files as an email attachment, and let the new developers sort out the new hosting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These other guys are right. Zip up the files you've got, send them over, cancel the hosting account and if the former client complains that s/he has paid for a year of hosting, refund the hosting fees to her. Wash your hands of the situation and protect your existing clients. Clients who respect you, have an excellent relationship with you and love your work are you bread and butter and are, in my opinion, the only clients worth working with...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing that's really important to them is your cooperation transferring the domain name. Don't give them your hosting user/pass, but email them all the files and tell them you'll cooperate with transferring the domain name when they've set up alternative hosting.

I'm tempted to add, don't go out of your way helping them any further with stock photo permissions or other trivial details, particularly if your ex-client failed to pay you.

Paul

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Thank You

Thank you very much to all of you who've posted. Your advice has been a huge help.

Kelli