SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have multiple accounts with Slicehost and certainly can't complain.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just put together a fun little setup at work today:

- Windows 2000 Server, SQL Server box
    - IIS on port 8000 (required for older apps that need Windows authentication)
    - IIS talks to Tomcat on port 8080
    - Mongrel on port 4xxx, Rails app installed as a service
    - Apache on port 80 proxying to IIS for some locations and Mongrel for another

Yeah it seems pretty complex when you first look at it, but it was the only way to get 1. our older Java apps, 2. Windows authentication with some older apps, and 3. Rails apps all working on the same box. With any luck 1 and 2 should be gone over the next few months as I rewrite them all, and I can simplify this setup some

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a very similar set up to vgarcia's except I'm running 2003 server rather than 2000, and I haven't set up Apache to handle all the proxying (my apps are Intranet (company network) so having a port in the URL is manageable). However, I think I'll be going that way when mongrel clustering becomes available on Windows, so it is nice to see that some else is already working successfully on a Windows server with Apache as the front end.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use our own server that runs IIS 6 on a Windows 2k3 box.

I have ISAPI_Rewrite sitting in front intercepting calls to certain URL's and Proxy rewriting to a mongrel server ( running as a service ) on a 400x port. This way I can have multiple mongrel services running for different websites.

I tried MediaTemple's RoR container for a personal site but their site was really slow even for php and mysql. I hear their grid server software was improved but ruby is a resource hog.

Can't wait until mongrel can cluster on windows. I am doing 3 more RoR projects one of which is going to be on a massive dedicated server ( think 8 cores and 4gigs ) and thinking about doing that in lighty once they come out with the new features.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll throw my vote in for slicehost. I've got two slices there and I love it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll throw in another vote for DeamHost - they have been great so far. Probably wouldn't run an app on it (or any other shared host for that matter) if it was really important, but it is great for getting started and learning more about RoR apps.
    Spencer Uresk
    Rails App Hosting
    Cheap Hosting - Directory of hosting plans under $10/month!
    My blog: Tech and Java Articles

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for slicehost

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Joyent a great host? I've read that it's "the official Ruby on Rails host" (from www.rubyonrails.org) so they've got some credibility to them.

This is what I'm looking into getting:
    Joyent Accelerator Pricing

The "M" plan. We can pay the $75 monthly/$750 annually no problem, but I was also looking at RailsMachine since I've heard good things about them.

Any suggestions?