SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

upgrading win95 to win2K

if i upgrade to win2k, will i have to re-download all my setup files (i've been using in win95) or will they still work fine in win2K?

thanks for any advice!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also is there anyway i can install win2K without a CD, considering i don't have any partions on win95?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally wouldn't bother upgrading from win95, I would go for a clean install. What sort of set up files are you talking about, can you give us some examples please ???

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hm, how can i do a clean install without using a cd?

just some of the software i had in mind was apache, kawa, java, office, mysql, flashfxp and so on.. mainly just applications.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would want to do a full install but if you don't have a cd you may want to setup a temp partition to hold win2000 on for the install. I usually do this because the setup time is about triple. Install from that partition.

If you can't have a partition and no cd I assume you can just do a regular install from whatever directory. Win95, win98 (al versions), winNT and winME all worked like that.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry if this sounds really dumb, but how would i go about making a partition in win95?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use FDISK from your boot disc but this isn't going to help you if you want to have a copy of the operating system on your hard drive to install from. So your only option really is to get hold of a copy of partition magic, this will enable you to make a partition without touching the win95 install, then copy the contents of the win2k cd to the partition, then you can format the partition with win95 on using FDISK in dos. Boot up with a boot floppy, navigate to where the win2k partition is and run setup from there. A warning however, some win2k discs (especially warez ones) will not let you install from dos, so if this is the case you will have to try and upgrade from win95. To find out if you can install from dos, boot up with a floppy that gives you cdrom support and try and run setup for win2k from the cdrom.
    Hope this all makes sense, if not, come back to us and we'll explain further.

SitePoint Addict kevin_tremblay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how are you getting Win2k without the CD?

I would suggest a clean install, always the best way to go. Once that is done you will need to get all your apps again and install them again as well.
    Kevin Tremblay-- Sys Admin
    work: kevin_tremblay@hsgmed.com
    "The object of the journey is not to arrive."