User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HMC MediaLab, what ya think

Hey all,

I've been helping out on a site that documents some cool stuff we've been working on about using technology in the real world (you'll have to have a look to get what I'm on about). Its called HMC MediaLab (www.hmcmedialab.org ) and a good example of the kinda stuff we're doing is here: http://www.hmcmedialab.org/videos/cadburys.asp

We've been working on the site recently and have been adding more imagery and videos to spice things up a bit but we'd love to have some feedback and suggestions as to what normal users think about it.

Anythings a goer, good, bad, indifferent. We just want to see what people think and what comments they have about the site. If you could have a scout around and give some feedback that would be fantastic.

Thanks everyone

Luke

- HMC MediaLab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Looks good

A clean design. One suggestion I would make is on the home page, to not have the photo so large. When the Web page loads, people may have to scroll to see the supporting text at the bottom.

mp/m

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is hard to find the content on the front page, the image takes up my entire browser screen. It might be helpful to put a title under the different galleries, but it din't life or death. Other than that, it is a lovely page, the navigation is convenient, and the content is fascinating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice and clean, maybe a bit to clean for my taste.
    My Portfolio
    Please U2U me if i win your contest.

U2U me im availeble for work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats great

Thanks everyone thats great. The large splash page was a bit of a risk but we thought we'd try it out and see what the response was. Keep it rolling, the more feedback we get the better we can make it for end-users.

Thx to everyone that has posted so far.

Luke

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first, the header image with the young man with have is face cut off needs changed or just removed. it looks as though somebody was learning photoshop and still needs a lot of practice.

the body text area on the main page would look more finished if it were outlined by a box with a light stroke. The same thing on the interior pages. It makes the site look like everything is just floating. you need some padding on the gallary page where the body text meets the footer.

HMC Interactive should open in a new window because it will take your users away from your site.

And in my opinion, I would do away with the home link on the top menu and use the logo as a link. Users have come to expext to return to the main page when clicking the logo.

I also do not like sites where the navigation is still working for "thispage" when I am currently on "thispage"

lastly, for an " Award Winning Media Lab" the overall design is very weak. Not a bad design mind you, but looks as though it has little artistic qualities.

You also mispelled organizations on the main page.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up modifications

After the feedback we gathered from people (thanks for your contributions) we've made some modifications to the site (hmcmedialab.org ).

We've altered the splash page as that was a common note that people made making it easier to see on peoples screens with lower screen resolutions. The css problems we had with IE have been fixed and by common consent we've altered the spelling on certain words that people were picking up on (mainly differences between English and US spelling).

Hopefully this has addressed some of the comments that people brought up, but if there is anything else you think we should be changed we'd love to hear from you.

Thanks again to everyone who's posted.

Luke

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first of all, the website got a clean looks.
    1. I dint find any reason of using web2.0 layout where you have not used any AJAX element in your website.
    2. Using HTML rather then XHTML Strict for web 2.0 website. Not a correct approach.
    3. Top random banner is okay, but the height can be reduced to 60%.
    4. Disable JS, and the Gallery script will not work.
    5. Website is not Semantic, as an example, in top menu, rather then A tag it should be UL/LI.
    6. Apart from home page, none of the web pages were validated from 3WC.
    7. RSS feeds are not validated from feedvalidator.org
    good point we have noticed:
    1. works fine in alomost all browser
    2. works fine in any resolutions
    3. Colors contrast is fine for accessibility
    4. good use of liquid theme.

- Experienced WordPress Consultant.
    - Get website design done by Anblik Web Design Company.
    - Collection of Top Free Online Website Builder.
    - Collection of Free Online Website Usability Testing Tools.