SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Please Review Me. www.cosmeticgrade.com

hate this site, tell me everything you loathe about it, I can take it!

SPECIFIC is Good.
    Also if you like anything LMK ok?

www.cosmeticgrade.com
    Last edited by chriswest; Aug 13, 2006 at 16:59.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    menu link colors do not go with that soft green behind them although I do like the green :-) the site icons for the imtems in the center seems like old late 90's web design... Id find another way to display the icons...perhaps drawn images that match that green color or something...

From downunder but sure 2 rise Hazardous's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The header image....how does that fit the site? A guy looking like he's about to go swimming....And it looks like it was cropped a bit to much, atleast on my browser that is.

The colours don't seem to work together either
    Hazardous
    My Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bigger product images, those are tiny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks more like a spam email than a website.

The header image is of what?

There's not a single paragraph on that page that tells me what this page or site is all about.

Your information links on the right are typically where advertising would be found so people likely wont give them a look.

images are too small, why not just put 6 images up and talk about the product a little, instead of 9 images as NO info.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm... looks very unfinished, no idea what kind of template you have used, but you should consider learning how to make a CSS based layout on your own instead of using a template which looks bad in Firefox (uncessary horizontal scroll bar).

I never hate, but I can say this, there's nothing I like about your website, nothing, so my suggestion is to scrap it and start over, flickering on it is just waste of time.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sabai
    Hm... looks very unfinished, no idea what kind of template you have used, but you should consider learning how to make a CSS based layout on your own instead of using a template which looks bad in Firefox (uncessary horizontal scroll bar).

I never hate, but I can say this, there's nothing I like about your website, nothing, so my suggestion is to scrap it and start over, flickering on it is just waste of time.

I actually know all the CSS stuff. But I built this site before that. Thanks for the feedback! Good point about the horizontal bar.

MORE REVIEWS MORE REVIEWS!!
    Last edited by chriswest; Aug 14, 2006 at 19:03.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I don't seem to be seeing the header image others have mentioned (tested in FF and IE).

I like the green. But I think the link colors should be changed to fit in better. Also, it definitely wouldn't hurt to have some explanatory text on the home page so people can get a quick idea what the site is about.
    I'm available for hire! - www.deftdevelopment.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    Hmm, I don't seem to be seeing the header image others have mentioned (tested in FF and IE).

I like the green. But I think the link colors should be changed to fit in better. Also, it definitely wouldn't hurt to have some explanatory text on the home page so people can get a quick idea what the site is about.
    Thank you for the review! Yes I changed the header image out with my phone number and email instead.

More reviews!! Check out the product pages please! More Reviews Please!!

PS: Nice site Madcap!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'd say that I hate the fact that none of the images are working the most (along with the fact that there are no ALT texts for some of the images).
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just the average person that isnt a pro with websites...but it seems sort of plain to me, meaning the bacground. Which, because you're doing this for buisness reasons, makes sense but you asked for my thoughts, so I would think it would be more appealing if there was more color.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiyya!

I dont hate anything about it but...

It just seems a bit unblended...colour wise.

Here is a useful resource that i use (I'm hopeless with colours!) to help with site blending:

Debras guide to colour!

I hope this helps a bit.

regards, Debra.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

comments

Side menu needs to have smaller font size and rollover effect.

colors are soothing but not very exciting. Try some bright colors.

some buttons are small for the text they have e.g. "CREATE ACCOUNT" button.
    Best online deals:Best online deals
    SEO Company India:Quality SEO Services
    Trouble Ticket Tracker System:Track & Manage Support Issues
    Software Outsourcing India: ISO certified company

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should use less colors. there are red, orange, blue and tones of green. You should use more tones of green and use a color like red to highlight important parts. Catagory links may be green too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    overall its good clean website

but the blue font with the green website doesnt seem to match to good in my opinion.

plus the header is to small for the website. get a new one that streches accros the page.
    My Portfolio
    Please U2U me if i win your contest.

U2U me im availeble for work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure what to do here.

The logo is a little small. In IE the logo is centered and FF it is offset to the right.

You need big pictures not thumbnails. It seems like to much whitespace.

You need some words introducing your company and why I should buy mud from you instead of me walking outside and getting a handful of yellow clay from Oklahoma USA.

I don't like the color scheme personally, but I am not offended for these type of products.

You are trying to take the sale before you made the sales pitch. Look at your competition at http://craftandfabriclinks.com/craftpgs/soapcraft.html
    Just put a little more shine on it.

http://www.gameclown.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks plain and boring, i hate green too, sorry its something that i got after being in the army.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi chriswest,

Is clean design but NOT effective. You need a design which is clean and effecive as well. Here are a few ares you should cosider improving.

Header
    The text used in header for logo and and contact is blurry, its not clear ahd sharp, I think if you use PS and make it more clear, or if you dont have Photoshop use an opensource software such as Gimp for making it more sharp.

Alignment - the alignment of logo in header is not same, becuase if you see it there is much blank area (white space) over the contact text, and less under it, balance it and it will give a good look.

Logo - Add a small logo in the header as well, may be by combining some of your products' images (blending) and making a logo, and if you cannot do it your yourself, I would goto ELance ot any other site where I can get a custom logo for less than $20..

Bar under header - where you have written (home, login)
    I think if you make this bar dark like color #444444 and writing text in WHITE color, do not use images, becuase sometimes they wont load.

Left Navigation
    The width of LEFT and RIGHT navigation MUST be same, currently the left navigation is thinner as compared to right navigation. The head of "SEarch" and "Products" must be dar background with light color and it will look much better, use cellpadding to balance everything.

Center
    Give some room where it says "1 - 888 - 208 - 0313" you should put a <br> before that, it may look much better.

Shopping Cart
    The orange color is good, however the images are not aligned and it does not look good, may be use a solid rectangle and place those text in that.

Footer
    Add a footer, and put copyright text in that, it gives buyer confidence doing business with you..

good luck with your products.

cheers
    - Ali..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Products need to be laid out a little bit better in my opinion, i don't find the menu's to be too easy to navigate. I'm viewing the site on a widescreen laptop and i think it probably doesn't look the best.
    The best designs i think are the ones that look the same on different types of resolution with the space around the sides. when it stretches, that's fine if there's useful information, but in your case it makes the site look way too spaced out.
    my 2c

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Roman
    Hi chriswest,

Is clean design but NOT effective. You need a design which is clean and effecive as well. Here are a few ares you should cosider improving.

Header
    The text used in header for logo and and contact is blurry, its not clear ahd sharp, I think if you use PS and make it more clear, or if you dont have Photoshop use an opensource software such as Gimp for making it more sharp.

Alignment - the alignment of logo in header is not same, becuase if you see it there is much blank area (white space) over the contact text, and less under it, balance it and it will give a good look.

Logo - Add a small logo in the header as well, may be by combining some of your products' images (blending) and making a logo, and if you cannot do it your yourself, I would goto ELance ot any other site where I can get a custom logo for less than $20..

Bar under header - where you have written (home, login)
    I think if you make this bar dark like color #444444 and writing text in WHITE color, do not use images, becuase sometimes they wont load.

Left Navigation
    The width of LEFT and RIGHT navigation MUST be same, currently the left navigation is thinner as compared to right navigation. The head of "SEarch" and "Products" must be dar background with light color and it will look much better, use cellpadding to balance everything.

Center
    Give some room where it says "1 - 888 - 208 - 0313" you should put a <br> before that, it may look much better.

Shopping Cart
    The orange color is good, however the images are not aligned and it does not look good, may be use a solid rectangle and place those text in that.

Footer
    Add a footer, and put copyright text in that, it gives buyer confidence doing business with you..

good luck with your products.

cheers
    - Ali..
    Thanks Ali for the thorough review. Im going to work on this this weekend and let you know.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    COLORS seem to be crap on this site. Does anyone have specific recommendations? I really want to go with the Blue links as they are universal (you will notice all the big boys use em hotmail, gmail, google, amazon, ebay, yahoo etc)

but I am open to changing the colors for the rest. Just the header logo needs to stay the same. Any recommendations I am open to it!

Also did I mention

MORE REVIEWS PLEASE!!!
    Last edited by chriswest; Aug 18, 2006 at 22:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would stick with green, its a natural colour and so mimics your products perfectly. You could encorporate browns into the design to create a little more contrast and give a much more earthy feel.

Overall, the layout is pretty blank. Eveything is blocky, and the area in the centre is dull, when this area should be grabbing the attention of the buyer. Try incorporating some nice design elements such as holders for the products, soft gradients, bullets etc.

SOrt out your logo as well, its in the middle of nowhere there. Get it to the top left, give it a little more impact, give your brand a lasting effect.
    ASP.NET Freelance Web Developer
    Bored? Check out my photography folio at Flickr

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rather like the layout but the menu link color isn't so good in my opinion. I'd also suggest using larger images for your products.