User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Referencing Form Elements Named as an Array

Hey everyone!

I have a script that loops through (with PHP) and lists items that have fields attatched to each of them. Basically 2 input fields per item. When you enter a number in one field, the other field gets updated.
    so basically the fields are named something like this.

amount[23] - total[23]
    amount[24] - total[24]
    amount[25] - total[25]

the array key is just the item's unique ID .

Problem is, I am not sure how to access the arrays with javascript. The array format of the variable name is making things difficult for me.

Basically I have been trying to reference them like this... Although I know it wont work...

Code:
    document.form1.total[x].value=formatCurrency(document.form1.amount[x].value*25);
    This is in a function. x is passed to the function and is the related itemID for the field that is being operated on.

I am not much of a client side programmer. My understanding in javascript is when you use [] in the matter that I have, it is usually selecting a item that is under it. Like if I wanted to do the samething I just did, but shorter, it would be document[form1].total.value
    Is that right?

Anyways, real question is, how can I alter my code to select the input element I want to work with.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K, so maybe this is a better question: Is this even possible?