SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which is the better e-mail software?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Microsoft Outlook Express/2000/Me/XP

17 54.84%
  • Qualcomm Eudora 5.1

10 32.26%
  • Others...

4 12.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outlook vs Eudora

I'm using Eudora right now. When I first encounter Outlook, it was with the Express. I don't like it. Then I tried 2000. So many features and a bit complicated. I like using it though because it has a calendar system I could use. Anyway, this is your opinion. Which would you choose: Outlook or Eudora? Or any other software clients for that matter.
    The Star Circle Quest Community - Community website for SCQ fans.
    Telebisyon.net - Reference guide to TV series shown in the Philippines.
    Lyrics Server Online! - All the lyrics you can get on one website.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow so many outlook (and OE) vs Eudora posts around here recently...

i chose OE for it's ease of use

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to go for Outlook after my latest posting, but I really do use Outlook Express on both my machines and have never had cause to look for another client, it works just fine for me.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to sound strange but first impressions. I tried Eudora years ago and found it ugly, slow and cumbersome. I haven't used it since. I think I might have tried it once more a few years ago but still found the ugly slow program that it used to be.

That doesn't leave a lot of options when I also didn't like netscapes mailer ...
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Eudora user, mostly.

I use OE on my home computer for my cable ISP email.

I also use web gateways for many of my email accounts when on the road or at another computer.

I'll probably never go to Outlook for a few reasons: 1) MS has enough products in my computer
    2) The security of the program is the worst out there.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Rent A Cop Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use Eudora but like Maelstrom said its ugly. I then used Outlook Express, but I really liked MS Outlook which we used at my place of employment.

So I bought MS Office Proffesional and use Outlook all the time. I like the calendar and the task list. Except when it tells me I have like 7 tasks that are overdue

Like anything Microsoftish that uses the internet, constant security warning/updates are a way of life. For me it is worth it to use Outlook.

Keep it real,
    Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used OE4, OE5, OE6, Outlook 2000, Outlook XP, Eudora Pro 5 and am currently using The Bat! 1.53d

Of all the email software I have played around with, I would recommend The Bat! 1.5. It beats Microsoft and Eudora anytime because of it's easy of use and it's level of security. I can confidently say that I am immune from the so many viruses spread through attachments. And it is the least annoying.

NOTE: I am in no way associated with The Bat. The opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by husain
    I have used OE4, OE5, OE6, Outlook 2000, Outlook XP, Eudora Pro 5 and am currently using The Bat! 1.53d

Of all the email software I have played around with, I would recommend The Bat! 1.5. It beats Microsoft and Eudora anytime because of it's easy of use and it's level of security. I can confidently say that I am immune from the so many viruses spread through attachments. And it is the least annoying.

NOTE: I am in no way associated with The Bat. The opinions expressed here are solely my own.
    Well I am always willing to try something new...how much is it and where would I find it??
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, tell us where and how to try the Bat.
    I also tried Pegasus for awhile, but did not care for that too much.

Hmmm, whatever happened to Pine?
    Brian Poirier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is available at http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/. The price actually varies: they have different prices for students ($25), private users ($35) and business users ($45). A trial version is available too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you move all your emails to The Bat, I thought I would let you know that Outlook does not support importing messages from The Bat, so if you delete all your emails from Outlook, then you are stuck.

Another disadvantage (??) is that unlike Outlook which displays a new mail notification in the system tray, this software does not. So unless you don't open the software, you will not know that you have got new mail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by husain
    Before you move all your emails to The Bat, I thought I would let you know that Outlook does not support importing messages from The Bat, so if you delete all your emails from Outlook, then you are stuck.

Another disadvantage (??) is that unlike Outlook which displays a new mail notification in the system tray, this software does not. So unless you don't open the software, you will not know that you have got new mail.
    No biggy I don't use mail notification. It reminds me of a cell phone. I want to connect when I feel like it not when the computer is beeping at me

Thanx

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used all manner of email programs, and since I started using Outlook only last year I think it is my favourite, although Pegasus comes a close second.

My least favourite has got to be Groupwise, YUCK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    husain, does it have the calendar system (The Bat!)? Is it complicated to use? Can I import and export files from and to my Eudora mailbox?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it does not have a calendar system. It has most of the features that OE has.

You can import files from Eudora but I don't know about exporting. However, since Eudora handles mail differently, you may have to do a bit of moving manually. I had to move all my mail from Outbox to Sent Items, because Eudora maintained all sent items in Outbox itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny how the security of the clients hasn't popped up yet.

Do you all know that OE is targeted by virus makers for its KNOWN vulnerabilities? If you get a virus that can auto-execute themselves (very recent one, aliz i believe can) you have no chance if you even LOOK at the mail in OE or Outlook?

It happened to me, preview pane closed, i deleted the mail without opening it in the least, and i got infected.
    Ended up having to format one of my hdd's (the one with my os on it, yay... )

I use Eudora now, and I have no problems with it with the exception of having to enter my pw each time i run the program, and that's not that big of a deal.
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Not-so-patiently awaiting Harry Potter Book 7 *sigh*

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Eudora Light up to v3.0, Outlook Express, Outlook 2000, Lotus Notes.

Didn't like the earlier versions of Eudora. Clunky and completely featureless. v3.0 was a really nice, lightweight little emailer though. I used for about 3 years on my old 486. You knew exactly what it was doing all the time, unlike Outlook.

Outlook Express is pretty good. And it comes with the OS, which is hard to beat. Not quite as slimmed-down as Eudora but it's not too bloated.

Outlook and Notes aren't really email applications - to call them that is a bit like calling a Pentium 4 "a good machine for wordprocessing". It's true, but there's a lot more under the hood besides. I've heard the term "groupware" applied to them, which is a pretty accurate description.

Notes is brilliant as a groupware application. Which is good, because it's the most unconventional, horribly unusable excuse for a desktop app you'll ever come across. In other words, don't just get it for email
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

multiple accounts

Which apps can suppport multiple e-mail accounts like OE? I use Outlook at work - corp mandate - but don't really like it. But I have a couple of e-mail accounts at home and OE allows me to use them both. I know NS mail does but didn't like that either. Was wanting to try Eudora but didn't know if it did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *wonders if im the only one here using NS Messenger*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: multiple accounts

Originally posted by bbolte
    Which apps can suppport multiple e-mail accounts like OE? I use Outlook at work - corp mandate - but don't really like it. But I have a couple of e-mail accounts at home and OE allows me to use them both. I know NS mail does but didn't like that either. Was wanting to try Eudora but didn't know if it did.
    Eudora supports multiple accounts (personalities). My office machine's Eudora has 6 email accounts from 4 differant ISPs on it.
    Brian Poirier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its funny but in this situation I think people have very specific preferences. If you are looking for a lightweight emailer Eudora seems to be it because OE is bloated with too much useless stuff to be a regular emailer.

Where Eudora is lightweight OE is jammed packed and if you are looking for a lot in a little program OE seems to be it with calender options etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Defender1
    I use Eudora now, and I have no problems with it with the exception of having to enter my pw each time i run the program, and that's not that big of a deal.
    But you can store your password so you won't have to re-type them each time you run the program / check your e-mails. I only need to do that if there was an error in getting my e-mails.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlook 6.0 is the best version of outlook express
    in my op its the most easy to setup and the interface is ultra easy to use...

I had used Foxmail a while back, but when back to outlook as foxmail lost all my important emails

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I just received a virus because after opening the attached file, my registration for Eudora sets back to the sponsored mode. Not only that, my profile got mixed up with my sister so its like looking at my sister's mailbox instead of mine. I have to re-install Eudora after that.

Does anybody know about this virus / worm?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh I thought Groupwise is pretty ok. Well everything feels the same to me. I use OE. It crashes, it works. Like with everything else.
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.