User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website Branding with Toolbar

Hi guys,

I've thoughts of creating a toolbar like Google Toolbar (toolbar.google.com) for my website.

The toolbar can have a search box (to search my site), a news ticker, currency coverter, direct links to your site, login box, automatic email notifier (would be good if you offer free email) etc

The advantages I see are:

Identity Branding
    The toolbar skin could be set to your logo
    Encourage Returning Visitor
    Your visitor could search your website directly without going to your website.

What do you guys think? Do you think something like this is feasible?

Thanks
    Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea . If people use it half as much as I use my Google toolbar, then you'll be laughing.

How would you go about it though??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there was a thread on this very recently...
    http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=39656

i dont think we managed to find a free solution, but there are a few usefull links in there. and the discussion as always managed to raise a few good points.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

It sounds to me like its a good idea but I just want to know what are you guys thinking.

Most of the toolbar links I've found are intended for proficient C++ developers. I'm thinking if there's any readily made solution and how much is it?

Excite pulled off their toolbar service, that makes me wondering why did they do that?

Cheers.
    Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are some links in the above mentioned thread to people who will custom make your toolbar for you,

as for my oppinions, i dont think a toolbar is exactly the best form of promotion unless it was usefull, if it is only going to be a search box that allows them to search your site then i dont tyhink it would really be all that usefull, googles toolbar is popular, because it serves a purpose, its not just a gimmick its a function....

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe there're still a lot of useful site out there with useful information which users want to access them instantly. Imagine having a sitepoint toolbar which will list the latest articles, news or forum discussion on your toolbar. Or a amazon toolbar which I could go to the book reviews instantly by entering the ISBN.

Joe