SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real Estate Website Service

I would like to identify a profitable online strategy for the real estate market in my area. I'm only a casual real estate investor, not an agent or anything, so I'm not looking to sell homes - but instead use the site to make money from featuring listings, offering information, etc.

Do you know of any existing websites sort of like this ? I would like to find out if this is a successful strategy for any webmasters out there.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MLS
    Grapevine
    Ottawaspot

etc...

That's a saturated market you're looking to break into.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember an article about someone creating a free real estate listings site, I think it was in the midwest and it was very popular. You could try this and have some ads on the site to make money.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site jonabyte is referring to is fsbomadison.com, i believe. For a flat rate of $150, the company offers home sellers yard signs, any necessary paperwork, access to a directory of attorneys, and most importantly, a spot on their Web site. The first year, they listed 25 homes for free -- last year the number was more than 2,000. You can google "fsbomadison.com" to see their site and find stories on them. Roar, I believe the LOCAL real estate market is wide open and am pursuing an online strategy myself.

Dennis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndWave
    Roar, I believe the LOCAL real estate market is wide open and am pursuing an online strategy myself.

Dennis
    Exactly, local services that the big boys can't offer. Thanks for the info on FSBO Madison.

Since the only competition you have in Real estate is strictly regional, perhaps you and I can share concepts & strategy for this type of project.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you live in a big area, I think there would be a great market for a self-serve FREE real estate listings site. You could sell advertising or use Google Adwords or similar ad service as a revenue model. Or just charge for premium listings or placement...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking into setting up blogging platforms for agents that wanted to highlight their listings... I asked in the RealEstateAgentsOnline forum. No feedback to date... I believe the market is saturated in as far as online tools for real estate agents. I thought they [agents] should try more mainstream tools, like blogs-- thinking they could save some money.

Q...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've considered doing something like what fsbomadison did, actually, although this is honestly the first time I've heard of it. May still do it in this area, but I'll need to think it through. I have some additional strategies for the real estate / online market that I'll be working on too, but can't give everything away.