SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outlook Express - Not the enemy within

Okay, this will probably generate some flaming for me, but what the hell. I read through this forum and every now and again I see people moaning about Outlook Express and Outlook as the cause for their computers being infected with viruses. Come on, grow up, millions of people use these products with no problems at all. My wife (Saz) and I both run different versions of Outlook Express and also different virus scanners but both are set up to scan our mail as we download it. We don't have infected machines and to be honest they have only ever stopped about 3 emails with virus attachments. The best piece of advice I can offer is to keep your definitions up to date and run a decent firewall. This really is a case of not shooting the messenger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i quite like Outlook... works for me and syncs great with my PDA...

I think outlook is just 'targeted' by evil people more than other programs...

There can be only One.... joelwills's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Outlook at home & work, I like it. Probably has so many problems/viruses as it's the most popular email client.

Never used anything else though.... but never had a reason too!
    Life Goggles - The Entertaining Environment Blog
    http://www.lifegoggles.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm a OE user too and i like it because it works!

it's rather unfortunate though that it's popularity has caused it to be the target of those virus people...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange, there I was expecting a sudden surge of hate mail towards me from the 'Pro Eudora (Pro)' lobbying group and so far all we have had is happy Outlook users. Bet this will change over the next few days though

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlook is a great program as long as you do enough to protect yourself...namely virus checking and up to date virus definitions...

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At my last job using Outlook I recieved between 200 to 300 emails a day and it just didn't handle it well. We had to keep all mail for records, so i'd end up with a good 7 or 8,000 emails in there after a while. I switched over to Eudora Pro, not sure of the version but it was an older one and it handled that amount of email a lot nicer than Outlook did. Eudora seems like a smoother more to the point email client.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what specifically about Eudora made it better for large amounts of email. Between Sitepoint and the other major forum I am part of, I can get large amounts of mail in a day too. My outlook.pst file is 157 MB!!! What specifically sets Eudora apart from Outlook?

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. It isn't Outlook's fault if you get a virus, it is yours. You opened the attachment, you pay the consequences. I also run updated antivirus software that scanes incoming e-mail and it has kept me from ever getting seriously infected.

I don't think Microsoft's Outlook products are necessarily weaker than Eurdura security-wise, rather, hackers target Outlook for holes and bugs since it is so popular. If Eurdura had the same popularity, it would be targeted, too, but since less use it, it's generally not worth hackers' time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what would have caused the performance difference, Eudora puts all the attachments in the attachments folder which iI found more convenient. I've seen these Outlook .pst files at up to 1gb in size, that might do it.

I really don't have a problem with outlook, I use Express at home mostly because it just happens to be there. That, and I also recieve maybe two or three emails a week which puts most concerns aside.
    Last edited by Seer; Nov 27, 2001 at 21:42.

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use OE on 3 computers without anti-virus software/firewall and have never had any problems. like mjames said, if you get a virus, it's your fault (most of the time -- save for the ones that launch automatically thanks to holes in O/OE. so ya gotta get the patches for those). watch the attachments. if you know their extension is safe, open it if you want. if not, don't.
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the fact that Outlook Express supports Hotmail access, so I can easily manage my junk mail collecting account. It also doesn't attach the commercial at the end of every e-mail and there are no frames when you open links in the e-mails, unlike when you log in through the web.

It's too bad Outlook doesn't have this feature.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

turn off preview

I have one suggestion:

turn off your preview pane, people are always complaining about how outlook is always opening their email without any notice.

I have found that 90% of the time you can tell a spam mail or a possible virus right from the subject.

View>Layout>

Uncheck Preview Pane

Just my 2 cents
    Ali Memon
    Direct Print