User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Netscape 4.76 and CSS link tag? HELP!

I am building a site and I just noticed that Netscape 4.76 is not importing my CSS. Here's my code in the head of the HTML document:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="../css/public.css" type="text/css">

What gives here? It works fine in 4.7 but not 4.76. Does this mean you cannot import CSS in Netscape 4.76? This has to be a HUGE BUG!

Anybody else had this happen? How can Netscape screw that up? I went CNN.com which also imports the style sheet and it also doesn't work in 4.76. What happens is the page just sits there waiting to load. You don't see anything.
    signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have JavaScript turned off?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JavaScript is on. I am not sure where the option is within NN but I tested out a basic page with an alert() and it worked.

This is really weird. It will pull up my page first but no render it correctly. Then it will stop pulling up any page at all. I'm trying to test it out to make sure I understand what is going on.

I'm wondering if it isn't my CSS include but the CSS itself. Also, once this problem occurs, I cannot just close the browser down. I actually have to reboot or re login to my computer to get the browser to function again. If I just close it down, then NN browser cannot display any pages at all. It is like it is constantly waiting for some more data.
    signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like your having some serious software problems. Try uninstalling and then reinstalling NS; see if it works, then.

~~Hope This Helps

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I think it actually has to do with some Dynamic Drop-down menus I am using from webreference.com

This browser is quirky. I have been using these menus on another site for almost a year and not a single issue has been raised about them. I think I'm having the problem with that site as well. I had tested with Netscape 4.7 before but not 4.76. Damn, Netscape is BS browser. They work just fine in NN 6.x and NN 4.7 but I think 4.76 has problems!

I'm not positive yet, but I'm looking into it. I might just say screw it because I have not had a problem with the other site. I know that > 92% of the users are IE 5.x. I just need to see what % are Netscape.

Anyone had problems with these menus like this?

Know of any good browser detection scripts that can give me the actual browser version (e.g. 4.76)?

Will . . .

//true if Netscape 4.x else false
    HM_NS4 = (document.layers)

. . . correctly identify Netscape 4.x browsers? I could just weed out the whole lot of them!
    Last edited by Buchanp; Nov 26, 2001 at 18:58.
    signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this