User Tag List

Rent A Cop Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

google's new toolbar

Howdy folks,

I have read a couple articles about Google's new toolbar and how it lets users "rank" a site.

Like this article: http://www.europemedia.net/shownews.asp?ArticleID=6869

I would like to find more information on this. I realize it is in beta right now, but I assume when all is said and done it will play a part in their site rankings.

Has anyone seen more information or found where it can be downloaded from Google's site?

Keep it Real,
    Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can find the link to it right on Google's main page.. Or, here.. http://toolbar.google.com/

The ranking works through the toolbar monitoring which websites people visit most, etc. Some people won't like the idea of their surfing being tracked.

Either way, even with the toolbar right on my browser I couldn't break the habit of typing google.com in to load up the search page. Kind of defeated the purpose of having it there, so I tossed it.

Rent A Cop Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply seer. I actually have the current toolbar, but from the article it sounds like there is a new version (in beta) somewhere that actually lets you vote on a site.

Lets say I search on google see this link to SitePoint.com, I have the toolbar, and when I realize SitePoint is an awesome site I click on the smiley face located on the toolbar and it registers a positive vote for the site.

The idea is that this will give better feedback as to which sites searchers will like better. ie. if there is a site full of affiliate links and no content that slipped into the index, it will recieve negative votes.

I too type google to do searches with the toolbar right there, but I keep it around because I like seeing the rankings of various sites.

Keep it Real,
    Dan

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys both have it wrong.

Google's Page Rank is based on Link Popularity, nothing more. What pages you visit has no bearing on anything.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    Google's Page Rank is based on Link Popularity, nothing more. What pages you visit has no bearing on anything.
    Google's current ranking methods have nothing to do with the question at hand.

MA, interesting update, thanks for the link. I'm also interested in what they plan to do with the feedback. They're obviously planning on doing something or they wouldn't be trying this out. The article did mention something about filtering out spam with the negative feedback.

Seer, you're probably right in that many people want like their search habits being tracked. About your comment on rankings being dependent on popular page visits, isn't there a program called Alexa that does something similar? Maybe you're thinking of that?
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Rent A Cop Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of you who are interested here is an update. I traced the original article link I posted back three articles and found this link. Don't you love how every article on the web was started by another article, which in turn was started by another article...

More information about the toolbar can be seen at:
    http://www.cs.unc.edu/~cutts/toolbarbeta.html

It is an official google thing, the download comes from a google URL for those of you who are cautious.

It looks interesting, I have found alot of interesting discussions about the idea, both good and bad, so we will see.

What do you think?

Dan
    Last edited by MissingArrow; Nov 26, 2001 at 15:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seer Says
    The ranking works through the toolbar monitoring which websites people visit most, etc. Some people won't like the idea of their surfing being tracked.
    I Say

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aspen's correct on this one. Google's page rank is based on links. Not just the number of links, but the quality of links. If I have 25 sites that link to me, and those 25 sites have a good page rank, then I'm better off then someone that has 250 links that rank low.

Is this Google Toolbar a new version, 'cos I've had one for months??

Rent A Cop Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by moonman
    Yes it is a new version but not much has changed except for the smiley face feature. It is in beta and the only real documentation is at the link above.

Dan

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, how many of us will actually use that feature to vote for a site? Its not something I can see taking off. I installed it about 2 hours ago and click a couple of smilies but since then I have forgotten about it!

Any comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by moonman
    Aspen's correct on this one. Google's page rank is based on links. Not just the number of links, but the quality of links. If I have 25 sites that link to me, and those 25 sites have a good page rank, then I'm better off then someone that has 250 links that rank low.

What I posted is just what I had gathered from reading their privacy policy, perhaps I had misworded it.

http://toolbar.google.com/privacy.html

"However, in order to provide you with the option of advanced functionality, like the PageRank of web pages, the Google Toolbar automatically sends the URLs of the sites you visit to Google."

Rent A Cop Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by glenplake
    Hmmm, how many of us will actually use that feature to vote for a site? Its not something I can see taking off. I installed it about 2 hours ago and click a couple of smilies but since then I have forgotten about it!

Any comments?
    I think I would use it more if it did something. I clicked a few just to see what it did, which was basically nothing.

If it helped the sites that got a positive vote I would use it more. Since I try to help out my regularly visited sites.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my toolbar all the time. If I'm looking for something on the web, I just stick the query in the toolbar. I think google's the best search engine, so it gets tons of use out of me. I probably use it 100+ times a day.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "average" web surfer may use this feature often, who knows, tests would need to take place. You must remember that "we" do things differently than the millions of other Internet users.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Seer

What I posted is just what I had gathered from reading their privacy policy, perhaps I had misworded it.

http://toolbar.google.com/privacy.html

"However, in order to provide you with the option of advanced functionality, like the PageRank of web pages, the Google Toolbar automatically sends the URLs of the sites you visit to Google."
    Yes, they send the URL in order to know what page your visiting so that they can send you the correct information about that page. It doesn't mean they count your visit as a vote or anything else.

Rent A Cop Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by RKuhle
    The "average" web surfer may use this feature often, who knows, tests would need to take place. You must remember that "we" do things differently than the millions of other Internet users.
    That must be the phrase of the day... I spent the morning arguing with one of my "partners" about keywords. He kept telling me the same thing "we" do things differently then everyone else.

He was right, and so are you....

Dan