User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to structure payment for blog writer

Hi guys,

I'm hiring someone to write articles for my blog and am wondering what kinds of experience you have with this?

Do any of you hire writers? Do you pay flat fee or per post? If you don't mind me asking, what kind of fees do you pay?

A friend commented that it should be both per post and also have some bonuses based on the popularity of the posts, such as number of comments per month or number of visitors. I'm trying to figure out how to structure this thing... I don't want to get ripped off by someone posting 20 word posts or filling the blog with spam comments just to get paid.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done it and seen it both ways, but make sure you see the posts before you pay for them. At least a couple samples and make sure they know you will be checking for plagiarism on each post. Other then that it depends on the writer and you how payment is handled, but its done both ways you are describing.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I write for a blog network, and I am paid $7.50 for each post of 100 words or more.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most popular methods of paying blog writers are per post (usually in the $4-10/per range, I think) or a monthly stipend.

If you want to make sure you aren't getting ripped off, don't sign any long term contracts. Put performance clauses in the contract specifying things like number of posts required per week, average number of words per post (though keep in mind that word count isn't a very good indicator of quality), etc. Maybe offer performance bonuses based on traffic, rss feed subscribers, trackbacks, whatever to entice your writer to write better quality posts (and more of them!). And also put something in your first contract about performance reviews after the first week or month or whatever--if your writer isn't working out after that time, drop them and find a new writer.
    Josh is an anomaly
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.