SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Hacks do I use

Hey,
    I have read a couple of things saying that the star-html hack is going to screw up IE7 and that I should start using child selectors for IE7. Has anyone heard anything regarding this and what are you all doing to future-proof your CSS for IE7?

Thanks,
    Joe
    -- Joe C --
    "Do or do not. There is no try..."
    - Yoda

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    what i do to future-proof my css is never to use a hack, not one

okay, that's not exactly true, i do use @import

but that's not really a hack, is it
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was someone on these boards spreading FUD about this a few weeks back, and I wouldn't be suprised if others have picked up on it and spread it themselves. I think it's fairly safe to say that you should ignore them.

Everything I've read says that IE7 won't see the star selector if it's in Strict mode.

I don't have XP, so I don't have IE7 to test with presently, so everything here is based on what I've read:

If the page is rendered in strict mode, IE7 doesn't need the CSS fed with the hack, and doesn't see the CSS fed with the hack... no problem.

If the page is rendered in quirks mode, IE7 will see the CSS fed with the "* html" selector, but will also be using IE6 type rendering, so not only does it see the hack, it likely still needs the rules fed with the hack... no problem (if, that is, it is rendering exactly as IE6 would have - which I can't say for sure without testing myself).

I'm not worried about it all that much myself.

I've always kept IE hacks ( which are mainly just HasLayout issues, and widths for IE5.x ) in a seperate stylesheet, and have also been feeding that sheet with Conditional Comments for a bit, so I'm pretty confident that I won't have problems... if I do, it should be quick and easy to fix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachnefein
    Everything I've read says that IE7 won't see the star selector if it's in Strict mode.
    If this is the case, then one should hope that the page will render the same as it does in FF...right? Theoretically speaking of course. I am sure ms will do something that screws that up. But, theoretically, if IE ignores the * html, the page should render correctly, because that have "fixed" all the rest of the issues. Right?
    -- Joe C --
    "Do or do not. There is no try..."
    - Yoda

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is the case, then one should hope that the page will render the same as it does in FF...right?
    That's my understanding of it.

I know there are hacks to target just IE7, so I'm assuming that these were needed for some reason - like IE7 NOT rendering as it should - but i haven't kept up with it and don't know what current problems it has.

What I've read says that the CSS implementation is complete, so, if you have the current beta to test with, you should be seeing how the final will render... I've also read that they were still fixing bugs, though I don't believe anything referred to whether this included css bugs or not.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by all4nerds
    the haslayout problem will give lots of fun
    Yes I have noticed that lists still need "layout" in order to kill the massive gaps that appear in ie7 just as they did in ie6. One of the easiest ways to force "layout" in ie7 is to use min-height:1% which can safely be left in place without needing to add hacks (although adding it is really a hack) as it will not harm the layout at all but will trigger "layout" in ie7.

As said above ie7 (in standards mode (strict or transitional)) does not parse * html so * html is 100% safe to use for ie6 and under forever.

They have called ie7 layout complete but they are still bug fixing until the initial release so you still may find things will change (hopefully for the better) when it is released to the public.

You can avoid millions of ie bugs by making sure that where possible, parent wrappers have a dimension defined as a dimension will trigger "layout" and makes the element behave as it should.