Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac users here?

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mac users here?

Hi, with this post I'm taking the chance to find some more Mac users and messenger buddies to make my internet life a little busier Just a thought I currently have...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How differnet is a mac to a pc?

I've never used a mac if you can't tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty different...at least the underlying architecture is. On the surface Mac's are "prettier", offering lots of custom icons, bright colors and a fairly easy to use interface.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole
    It's pretty different...at least the underlying architecture is. On the surface Mac's are "prettier", offering lots of custom icons, bright colors and a fairly easy to use interface.
    from the one's I have seen they just look the same as pc's.

Is it easy to get software from them, do programs that run on windows run on them?

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jkcity
    Is it easy to get software from them, do programs that run on windows run on them?
    Actually I didn't mean to start such a discussion but I don't mind

Software is just as easy to get as for PC (you just need to know *where* ). Since the success of the iMac (September 1998) Mac software is beginning to spread and so much easier to find shops that sell them. However the Mac and PC platforms are too different so you won't be able to run windoze sw on Macs nor vice versa. Emulators can partly make it possible, though, it's very slow...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a piece of software called Virtual PC that runs Windows inside the Mac OS. You can drag and drop between them. The people that I've talked to haven't said anything about it being overly slow.

One thing to point out though is that while Mac software is readily avilable, not ALL PC software has a Mac counterpart. If you are a gamer then you're out of luck. Very few PC games make it over to the Mac.

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Power Mac G4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BAH!

Apple should go down in flames where they belong. Commie punks!

Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are graphics people finally turning on Apple?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from the one's I have seen they just look the same as pc's.

you haven't seen the ones that look like bread makers then?
    אין סוף

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the comps at work are mac's... but they are all going in the bin soon, in favour of a complete win2k solution, which i've been building for the last 2 weeks.
    Drinky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't get used to the one menu fits all thing... confuses the hell out of me
    Drinky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm one of the few then

I use Mac's 100% per cent now after switching over earlier this year. I'm on one of the new style 500mhz dvd ibooks at the moment and have a 600mhz cd-rw snow imac to match sitting about 20 feet away
    Last edited by Pauline; Nov 14, 2001 at 18:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a piece of software called Virtual PC that runs Windows inside the Mac OS. You can drag and drop between them. The people that I've talked to haven't said anything about it being overly slow.
    i have alot of memory and it was still really slow for me, but i was just happy to be using windows on my mac

One thing to point out though is that while Mac software is readily avilable, not ALL PC software has a Mac counterpart. If you are a gamer then you're out of luck. Very few PC games make it over to the Mac.
    very true, or you just wait a long time. i think the sims house party has probably been out for maybe 5 months? well there's already another expansion pack available for pc's, so maybe in 5 months we'll get the hot date pack...

i'd still own a mac, but i would own a pc too, in fact i will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is interesting... I was actually going to post a thread like this.

Anyway, I have been really intrigued by Mac's. [I might be wrong but...] wasn't the Mac OS/Windows style platform developed first and then M$ somehow managed to rip it off and mass produce it.

I have been turned down from jobs before because I don't have much Mac experience. I have used a Mac for Sound Editing, but never really for Graphics, but I have heard that all reputable design houses rely on Mac's for their work.

Why is this? A friend of mine had an iMac and he told me the specs and it sounded terrrible compared to mine. But then I watched him use it and it was really fast, and never seemed to run out of memory (and certainly didn't appear to crash.. ) and could do some really funky stuff with it.

The problem I fear though is that I am used to using Windows as a platform and then buying independent software (or yes... more Microsoft) but the impression I got from the Mac was that most appeared to be made by Apple, and so as such, it could be hard getting hold of it?

Is there any truth in this? When I bought this computer it was a toss-up between a Mac or a PC, but I went with PC simply because the large majority of users are PC users.

Any advice? Is it worth making a change?
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, the majority of mac software is not made my apple.

i had used a pc for years when i made the switch and at first i really regretted it. but now i'm glad i stuck it out. i think it's just a much more simpler way of doing things. i do get frustrated sometimes when i can't use programs like audiogalaxy because i'm on a mac, but oh well... i can deal with it because i have access to other computers.

a word of advice: if you're buying a mac, get a few books:
    * the little mac book
    * sad mac bombs and other disasters

i can't tell you how glad i am that i have these books.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Windows operating system is based largely on the Apple operating system. The Apple OS however was originally inspired by Xerox, PARC, but Apple paid for the privilege. Microsoft did not, but when Apple took Microsoft to court, for stealing the look and feel of their OS, they were no match for Microsoft's lawyers and Apple lost the case. Since then Microsoft has had free reign to steal Apple ideas.

As for software if you are into design then you can get all the major players such as Photoshop, Quark, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Go Live etc. There is also the new version of Office just released for the new Mac OS OSX which is fantastic (http://www.microsoft.com/macoffice/).

I made the change in June of this year and haven't looked back. I've had 0 crashes and can get work done quicker and with less stress that if I was on Windows. So my advice is go for it. Maybe you could pop into your local Apple dealer or John Lewis who are the major Apple re-sellers and ask for a demonstration and play around to get a feel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how exactly would you define a crash? to me a crash is everytime the computer freezes. thats amazing if you've had 0 crashes. when i work on my computer for a long time i have at least 1 per day.

don't get me wrong, i love my mac though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by erratic
    how exactly would you define a crash? to me a crash is everytime the computer freezes. thats amazing if you've had 0 crashes. when i work on my computer for a long time i have at least 1 per day.

don't get me wrong, i love my mac though.
    Yep I define a crash in the same way I'm on my Mac about 14 hours a day and it hasn't crashed once. Maybe I've just been lucky so far. I know it will probably crash at somepoint in the future but for now I'm one happy bunny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Win2K DELL laptop goes south at least once a week - assuming I'm not installing new software.

My G3 Mac laptop just runs and runs and runs. My Dual G4 OS X Mac just runs and runs and runs.

-t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well what do you guys do for that? what am i doing wrong? thats amazing to me.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mac and pc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need games, Guess a mac is out of the question for me.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don;t even go near one if you're a gamer

seriously, very few games are available on the Mac and if they are, most are PC ports of only the better selling games like myst and quake and half-life...

i'm sorta a gamer too and i can't live with a Mac i know... and getting used to the 1 button mouse thing is really hard...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't tell my kids that then.

They must have 150 CDs of games they run on their iMac. I sold the Playstation at a yard sale this summer because no one uses it any more. They use the iMac instead.

I think the more accurate quote is probably "If you need to run PC games, don't use a Mac." There are lots of Mac games.

-t