SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PreLoading Scripts Fail to work

I have a site that uses 2 different sets of preloading scripts. One, which appears on every page, and a second, smaller script which loads images specific to that page. A sample script can be found at http://www.fitnessforlife.com/musclegram.shtml

The script reads as follows:

<SCRIPT type="text/javascript" LANGUAGE=JavaScript>
    <!--
    image1 = new Image();
    image1.src = "images/musclebody3.gif";

image2 = new Image();
    image2.src = "images/musclegram.gif";

image3 = new Image();
    image3.src = "images/home.gif";

image4 = new Image();
    image4.src = "images/email.gif";

image5 = new Image();
    image5.src = "images/back.gif";
    //-->
    </SCRIPT>

This is similar to the scripts found on all pages. The trouble is that it does not work worth a lick. Doesn't preload one d*&^ thing.

I was wondering why? Is there something wrong with the coding?

T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Let the software do it for you....

Afternoon,
    What you should do is download Macromedia Dreamweaver, Ultradev or normal doesn't matter which one, from here http://www.macromedia.com/downloads/ .
    Once installed etc you need to open it then look for the "window" menu, then "behaviours" this will open a little box with events actions shown. Click on + this will bring up another menu. If you look up the menu it will allow you to "preload Images" if you click on that a dialogue box opens and you can choose which images you want the broswer to pre load. The code it produces is non-sense but it works which is the main thing. I don't know if any of the good freeware WYSIWYG web editors has the same function or not?

Hope this helps if not i am sure i can put together some code for you.

Si Philp

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that trick never worked myself and ended up using the DW trick as well...the only form I use from DW but it works ALL the time.
    Code:
    function MM_preloadImages() { //v3.0
      var d=document; if(d.images){ if(!d.MM_p) d.MM_p=new Array();
        var i,j=d.MM_p.length,a=MM_preloadImages.arguments; for(i=0; i<a.length; i++)
        if (a[i].indexOf("#")!=0){ d.MM_p[j]=new Image; d.MM_p[j++].src=a[i];}}
    }
    Thats the format you want to use to preload the images. ALSO make sure the original code is in the head. It looks fine but needs to be in the head to work. Also specify javascript1.2 and surround it in quotes.

Code:
    MM_preloadImages('file:///C|/Documents%20and%20Settings/Apparition.BBS/My%20Documents/my%20web1/graphics/titlebg.gif')"
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been there done that guys.

Well sorta. Lemme explain.

I use DW. I love it. And I tried your approach. The problem I ran into is this....None of my pages have a traditional body tag, which is traditionally where DW places the preload code, correct?

You see, my body tag is a SSI and it shows up on every page. It contains the navigation dhtml menu. If I had the menu inserted individually on each page, then the body tag (which is contained in the menu script) could contain images specific to that page, but as it is, the body tag is the same for each page. I do not know if this makes sense, and if it doesn't I am sorry.

Bottom line is if I try to use the behavior command, it ends creating <p> tags and inserting preloading script somewhere in the body of the page in said <p> tags (because it has no body tags to put them in....get it?)

That is not gonna work. Or am I mistaken?

Timmy