SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

about importance of reading your junk mail

I received a letter without return address, looked like typical junk mail. I almost threw it away without opening. The title was 'An offer you can't afford to pass up'. I glanced through it before throwing it away. It was a notice from collection agency about alleged debt, that becomes liability unless I rebut it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the long run you'd be better off not even reading these emails, chances are it's a phish. If you want to know about your credit, credit scores are really easy to come by online. And besides, if it is a real debt, they'd be burning up your phone lines and ground mail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a letter, not e-mail. Apparently my identity was stolen - they are collecting $XXXX on behalf of Cingular, and I also received invoice from Dell for $XXXX recently. Never bought anything from either.
    I am now reading Fair Debt Collection Act - it appears that debt collectors are only allowed to put their return address on envelope, and business name if it doesn't imply that they are a debt collector. From now on I am opening every letter without return address on it that drops in my mailbox