User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revenue Ideas for Car Site!

Hey guys,
    I recently opened a new community/content site based 100% on modifying (tuning) domestic automobiles like the Ford Focus ZX3, Dodge Neon, etc... I have a very good understanding of my target audience; they are basically almost all American (90%), all male (91%), and most have quite a large sum of disposable income. These guys are all hardcore about tuning their cars, and usually spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on them.

Currently I am selling small decals to the community which promote the site's address and make me a decent revenue. I may be tremendously dumb, but I can't think of other ways to generate revenue from these guys. I have a flourishing community, great content, and loyal members, but I am making only $30 a month tops from the site. Any ideas to boost my bottom line would be tremendously appreciated. Right now I am trying to market my own ad space, as I have had no success making a decent amount from Advertising.com. I'd be delighted if you would please review my media kit (it is linked on the left-hand side near the bottom as 'Advertise With Us').

Thanks for all the ideas,
    Ryan
    http://www.domestictunerz.com - 100% High Performance Domestic Autos

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You REALLY should get a special deal with some kind of parts dealer, and open up a store section on your site selling car parts, where you get a small percentage of sales (aim for 15%).
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try Burstmedia.com for ads... they're generally better than advertising.com now.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually applied to burstmedia.com 6 times and so far have not been accepted into their program. I was contacted by a member of their staff and asked to apply, but when I did apply they still refused me, kind of wierd eh... Thanks for the ideas so far guys, anymore would be greatly appreciated. I am trying right now to figure out a way to make my community pay, but I don't want to be too pushy of course..
    Sincerly,
    Ryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try some of the auto programs on Commission Junction.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ryan...first let me say NICE SITE! I love the look, they layout, and the way everything ties in together. You've done a really nice job with everything there!

Now...to make you some money! I agree with truelight that you need to forge some relationships with people selling products that your visitors and community members will purchase. Affiliate programs are definately a good way to go, though you might have to do some searching to find good products that you can offer to your visitors.

As far as selling your advertising on the site, I think you really have to be the one to go after those companies you'd like to see advertise on your site. Man, you've got great advertising rates and good numbers as far as your visitors go. I'd recommend you research the companies you'd like to have advertise on your site, then get in touch with them and tell them what you can do for them! Maybe even offer a reduced rate or give them a week or two free to try out your advertising, track the results and prove to them that you're offering something of value. Anything you can do to start a relationship with someone who can sponsor a community forum or purchase banner ads can only help you out, even if you have to give up a little before you can get.

On a side note Ryan, I'm developing a community for businesses myself, and really like that PHP script you wrote for your readers to register your rides. Any cnahce you'd consider sharing or selling a license for your script? I'm using a flat-file perl database now to offer members one page with a description of their business and a picture, but would be open to any new ideas! Thanks, and please let me know if I can be of help in any way!

Regards,

Steve

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Steve, I will be intouch with you via e-mail as soon as I get home tonight. Thanks again.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weeellll, I'll agree with the rest of the pack. You definitely need to join an affiliate program or sell car parts (contact me when you get a chance, I'm building a website for a company that sells various car parts.)

But there are a few things you could improve on your Media Kit page. You need to focus more on the benefits that your advertisers will receive from advertising with you. Tell them more about your audience, what kind of car parts your audience is interested in, and how much money your audience spends on parts every month/year.

You clearly state that you haven't been indexed by the search engines, "which is why the traffic will be growing". I wouldn't say that if I were you. It sounds like an excuse, nobody wants to read about excuses. Instead, list what you HAVE been doing for promotion. Have you been mentioned in any magazines? Is your web address all over cars? Are you listed at other major car customization websites?

On another note, you might want to drop your ad rates more until you can sell out your inventory. Right now your demand is low, therefore your supply is high. Find a way to increase demand and your supply will shrink, which will allow you to raise rates. Until then, go for cheap rates.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good ideas there Ryan!

Remember...It's all about the BENEFITS! ;-)

Steve