SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Security question

If someone buys a product of mine, and in the check out process form, I request them to provide a user i.d and password so they can access a memberís only section to access tools and what not. When they return they would have to log in with the information they entered in the check out process.

How could they change their user name and passwords?

How would I put something like this together? I am new to website development, obliviously.

Thanks,
    Alex
    Los Angeles, CA

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re:

Well, first of all, if you will be having a check-out, you'll need to have https (secure processing) so think of this feature as and add-in or a separate module from the rest of your site. (this will probably cause you the most headache anyway!)

As for registering and tools section, it's rather simple. Once person registers, you email them userid and password. They can come back and login with that password. On the login page you will make a link something like..."press here if you forgot your login information" and if they enter their email address or whatever else you want to ask them, you can then email that userid and password.

It's a good idea to allow users to be able to login and not be all the time under secure connection (also much easier to implement). You can create a shopping backet (many free code samples available for free on-line) and if the click on checkout, route them to SSL (secure connection) and read the backet to create the invoice.

Good Luck!