SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a slight mysql problem using php. How do I do this sql insert query using php?

Hi,

I have 12 different email addresses being submitted by different people. Now I want to keep track of these email address so I know that people are not getting spammed.

I have to following script:

PHP Code:
    $fmail1 "name@domainonlineentertainmentwhateveryday.com";
    $fmail2 "chris@domainonlineentertainmentwhateverydays.com";

for(
    $ix=0$ix 12$ix++)

{

$ixed $ix+1

mysql_query
    ("insert into tellfriende (mailadd,hits) values ('${fmail.$ixed}','1')");

} 
    Now I don't always have 12 email addresses. Some of the fields in the form is blank so I would not want these included. With the above query I was wondering if there is a way that I can insert an email address and if it is already in the database then it will just knock the hit counter up my 1 and will not add the email. I have already set up a unique index on the mailadded field.

Is there a way of doing this without having to search the database to see if the email address is already in it. Could I just do the inserts and if it fails due to a duplicate email then it will add 1 to the hits field in the database. Can that be done.

Also what is the best way of doing this php thing as with every email I am doing a new query. Can't I just do one query. I know it can be done, but I don't quite know how to.

I hope you understand.

Thanks.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...duplicate.html

Look at this mySQL function.

You could do the insert normally, and use the On Duplicate clause to increase the hit counter if that email address already exists.

From downunder but sure 2 rise Hazardous's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UFT....that's one cool function, i didn't know their was such a thing, i think i might use it to slim down some of my coding
    Hazardous
    My Blog

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep!

That is something that I really hate about php and mysql. As I started learning it about 2 years ago and still am learning new things on a daily basis, I find that I am keep finding better ways of coding things and then have to redo major parts of my site time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazardous
    UFT....that's one cool function, i didn't know their was such a thing, i think i might use it to slim down some of my coding