User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

selling newsletter ads

hi,

im using advertising.com at the minute for my newsletter ads, but i want to sell privately. The list is sized at 120k subscribers (joke list) - any one know where I can find advertisers?

Would it be ok to post my rates here? (I have seen another post doing that, but I cant find it now - I guess its been removed?)

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try http://www.ezineadauction.com a post at gethigh recomended them by jaikin.

http://gethighforums.com/Forum10/HTML/001498.html

He claims he got a buyer for it, but it was not really a large amount, I would have no idea how it would perfom for larger amounts.

I don't think its alowed to post your rates here, but you can post your url in your sig and profile and people can go to your site to find your rates.

I have also seen soem people list some rate sin there sigs, which may or not be allowed but I reckon a post with your rates is a no no, there might be a forum on here though where you can do that.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm..I have seen that before - I see a few listings, but no bids..
    I might try it anyway, see how it goes.

thanks..anyone know anywhere else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steb if you try that auction thing will you come back here and tell use what results you had with it.

also good to get some new info on these things.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes

I am in this exact same situation. I do mean EXACT SAME.

My list is also a humor list, also 100,000 plus (actually 150,000), and I'm also using Advertising.com and I also want to sell my own ad space!

Umm, mind if I share a few of my experiences?

Ok, I've only been doing this for one week, selling my own slots, that is, and I think I have been pretty successful given the Thanksgiving holiday took away all of my time that I would have spent on selling ads, or at least an hour per day maybe.

I have sold 15 top ads so far in my newsletter, sent daily, so I have sold 7 ads for December even, made $150 already for that month in newsletter advertising and we're still in November. I happened to find a site, I will not reveal which site, that closely related to my own and the Webmaster of that site and I have been striking several significant deals.

So, I would say that if you can begin to establish a list of contacts and Webmasters who might be interested in such ads, you will certainly benefit from these relationships that you form.

I have contacted people directly about newsletter advertising, which I think can be effective, but you need not to spam them. You need to look at sites that might be interested in your rates, write a personal e-mail to the Webmaster maybe mentioning something about his/her site you like, and offer them a deal. It's not spam the moment it is personalized. If you even say one sentence about how you like the picture they have up on the main page or the quote they put below their banner or whatever, you have just made it real mail versus spam. So that's key, for sure.

You have to realize your failure rate will be high. Extremely high. I would say fire off ten e-mails per day to various Websites and see where that takes you. If you can make a sale to just one of those Webmasters, although it may seem to be a waste of your time, you will actually be doing quite well because perhaps this Webmaster will buy ten ad spaces (happened to me!) or he will buy one, then three months later come back and tell you he's got $500 to spend on advertising, can you help? Just establishing these contacts is key to success online.

If you have any other strategies, anyone else, please chime in. I'm always looking for new ways to sell these ads. I think there has to be other ways, too, maybe even writing to local businesses or making real life postings somewhere. I think there just has to be ways to get the word out cheaply and effectively. Especially if you KNOW your rates are extremely competitive, like mine, then you should be able to sell to anyone, but finding them is the hard part. It's not that easy just locating people who have some advertising budget, a product to sell, etc, and want to advertise.
    Contact me about cheap hosting solutions!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLB,
    in your sig you say you sell newsletter spots for 10 to 20 cents CPM. At 10 cents, that's only $15 for your 150,000 newsletter. That sounds very low to me. Can you really make a profit with such a low price, and is it worth your time to solicit for advertisers when the ads are so cheap?

Not trying to put you down or anything, just asking . Personally I shoot for at least 50 cents CPM with my daily newsletter of 60,000. Some days I will get more, some days less. That's using CPC from Advertising.com and affiliatefuel.com, and throwing in some CPA from the same companies every once in a while.
    Gunnar Bengtsson, webmaster of:
    One Fun Site - www.onefunsite.com
    American Poems - www.americanpoems.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gunnar - are your subs confirmed active? that would obviously lead you to a higher CPM..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steb,
    my subscribers are a mix of double opt-ins directly from my site (obviously quite valuable, bot not so numerous) and co-regs from tell-a-friend forms on my own and partner sites (not quite as valuable). In other words, probably about the same quality subs as the next humor/jokes guy - nothing special.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, you are very lucky to get a 50c CPM (well..I think anyway) - im only gettin roughly 20c CPM using advertising.com (although my list is made of primarily co-regs), which kinda sucks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah

When I have used Advertising.com, I made less than what I am asking for newsletter ad prices. I mean, 50 cent CPM? That would be $75 per newsletter sent using just lousy standard CPC and CPA programs. Nah, that would never happen. Best I can do is maybe $39 one day for that type of thing, but typically it would be like $20 per day at most. People just get tired of seeing the same ads every issue and stop clicking. At the start of the month with new campaigns, I was making $25 per day on average, then it slipped badly to $15, then pretty soon I had a $7 day. I'm like, $7 for 150,000 people?! That is ABSURD! I should be making $100 a newsletter, not $7. Ugg.

Anyway, so I sell the ad space cheap so that I can try to fill it up, at least initially, and then I can raise prices in the future maybe.

the 10 cent CPM is for the bottom ad. $15 for the bottom ad, $30 for the top ad. That's still $45 per newsletter if I sold my inventory, which I am trying to do. I have 7 top ads sold for December, trying to make a deal to sell 5 bottom ads at a discount.

Right now, I just want to make $900 a month or so on the newsletter in gross, if possible.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLBMedia, whats your email address? I couldn't find it in your profile.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLB : maybe it wasnt advertising.coms adverts that were at fault, but your readers were losing interest?

have you tried calculating the number of active readers (i.e. ones who click through to get to your page)

if you want to, and need some help, I have a script written up that will do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLB,
    $7 to $25 per issue from Advertising.com ads when you have 150,000 subscribers does not sound good. I have less than 60,000 subs, but I have made $700 with Advertising.com so far this month.

Unfortunately, the conclusion I come to is that there's a bit of air in your subscriber figures. Out of your 150,000, a large part probably never even open your newsletter. If you were to perform a test, you would most likely find in the neighborhood of ten to twenty percent active subs in your list.

Try to shrink your list down to only your active subscribers. This will most definitely be worth it to you, as your overhead would come down a lot. I don't know how you currently manage your list, but done properly shrinking your list will not affect your income or traffic - only bring down the cost of sending out the newsletter.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLBMedia :

I have a list of 17k, was sending out all the mails using a php script from my own server. I was making about $3 per mailing.

Yesterday, I switched over to sending through http://www.netatlantic.com - my revenue rocketed to $40 for the mailing I sent to 16k (almost 1000 were bad subs which I didnt know about)

you dont say how you are managing your script, but if you are sending out mails yourself, you may want to look at a managed solution.

im calculating the active subs now. after one mailing I had 2000 active (2000 click throughs), i've just sent another mail, its upto 2500 active, will probably end up at about 3000 by tomorrow.

the moral of my large story is upto 80% of my readers are inactive.
    in your case, you could have an active member list of 30k. still even with that size,you should be making WAY more than you are, I cant help you there..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that is what I was thinking

(My e-mail is Jonathan@jlbmedia.com)

I realize that they are obviously not all active readers, but just because a reader doesn't open every newsletter does not mean they are not a valuable subscriber. I mean, I receive many newsletters from various sites that I subscribed to and I don't open every one. I delete most of my 49ers newsletters without opening them, but sometimes I read every article in them, so I still like getting them even if I rarely read it.

Cutting away the dead wood from my newsletter would be nice, I certainly agree with that. If you have something I can use to do that it would be great.

I use NetAtlantic although I think they are a total rip off compared to before. It was $125 per month and now it's $170 PLUS bandwidth over 1 gig, which every single person on earth uses more than that much, so it comes to about $370 or so I am calculating for this month.

If I cut down to only active subscribers, I would also lose the size of my list, whether they are all active or not. I mean you cannot as easily sell newsletter ads in a small list of 50,000 as you can in a big one of 150,000. I still think my ad prices are quite fair and many people have received a great many clicks from my newsletter. That is why I charge cheap rates, though, because there are not as many active subscribers. I have no idea why so many are inactive, but needless to say with any list you are not going to have more than 10 to 20% of your readers actually read the entire thing every day, or at least "almost every day." I get about 10,000 uniques per day, sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more, and I have 150,000 subscribers to the site's list, so clearly not everyone visits the site daily.

It IS Advertising.com's fault for not having enough ads for us to use. Perhaps if YOU send a mailing every week, you have no problem because that is about 4 to 8 ads per month, depending on if you use one or two ad spaces. But I send daily with two ad spaces and need to fill 60 slots per month. Advertising.com is doing HORRIBLE at getting new campaigns. They are negotiating absolutely worthless deals lately and in the last two weeks there has not been one good new campaign. They are all very uninteresting to my subscribers and nobody clicks. At least at the start of the month when the ads were fresh, people clicked.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated in possibly trimming down my list.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok

Come to think of it, it would be useful if I could cut my list to active subscribers only.

I would only be willing to do this if I was SURE I was cutting e-mails that never opened it. For instance, is there any way I can see if someone does not open the newsletter for a period of one month and then terminate them?

If I had 50,000 active subscribers and cut down my list to that size, my hosting would be only about $110 per month, NOT $370 or whatever. So although I might lose some money in negotiating my rates, I would save so much it would probably be worth it. Less overhead is always better I believe...

Help here would be awesome. Thanks a lot...

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLB - i've sent you an email. I have a solution for this problem

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

I think cutting costs would be good.

My question...

What if I cut to 50,000 subscribers, so I cut away 100,000 inactive ones. Could I still sell my newsletter ads at reasonable rates? Like do you think I could get $25 for a top ad in the newsletter and $10 for the bottom one, for instance?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLB : you would have to market the fact that you only have active subscribers on your list - this means you can charge a higher price for a smaller list

talk em through the fact that other newsletters probably wont get read by most of the subscribers - yours is different. when you say 50k, you mean 50k. when others say 150k they really mean 50k.

0.5CPM for a top ad is very reasonable. most unscrubbed newsletters charge this for a top ad.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

List Management Software

I was wondering what cost-effective list management software for double opt-in lists is available. It does not make sense to use expensive third party solutions when you could use you own list management software to acheive the same effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLB , nice network that you have there
    Our Sites: Arcade Muffin | Viefex