SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Advertising.com any good?

I recently signed up with advertising.com and re-launched my site. Lately though i've been getting some bad vibes from different forums. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
    Webmaster of SpoofBook.com
    Home of the ART of Lazy:"A Survivalist Guide"
    http://www.spoofbook.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they've been around awhile (aka teknosurf), which is good. however, i don't personally like them because they've launched too many programs (getpaid4, nickelaclick, ...) that have failed or changed terms drastically to the detriment of affiliates (bad management/planning), however, they're very innovative (launch of many differ programs).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

advertising.com

I have used advertising.com, for both web banners and newsletters. I would like to say that they are EXTREMELY nice people. Well, the people who I have delt with have been, Crystal and Burton.
    Heres some pros and cons
    Web banners
    Pro:Only need 50K monthly immpressions to get in.
    Good reputation
    Great Friendly staff

Cons: If you don't have a lot of traffic you get mostly cpa ads, and the occasional cpc... hardly any CPM, even if you run popups.

Newsletter:
    Pros: Great Program if you have a newsletter over 5 thousand.
    Nice CPC's with good payouts > 15cent+ CPC
    Great Friendly staff

Cons:
    I can't think of any.... I love it!

Hope this help a bit
    Ryan
    *WRITERS* Create How To Guides and articles and get
    75% of the MONEY it makes via Adsense forever!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my opion is there banner network is crap and the newsletter network is great.

Both give excelant support in my opion though and they do pay which is a plus.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, put bluntly

Put bluntly, if you are going to serve their banner ads, you may as well not bother at all. Their banner ad network is absolute crap. It's never been high paying, even like a year ago it sucked hard. Maybe it was good when it started, but so was every other network. They are pretty horrible now.

The newsletter network is great, though. I don't think it is perfect, but it's the best on the Internet so what else can you say?!

I would offer up a con, though. My problem with them is that I send a daily newsletter with two ads, so 60 ad spaces per month, and they don't sell enough advertising or offer enough programs to keep my readers interested. I cannot run 60 different campaigns and when I start to repeat, they really dive.

I've not had much luck in really raking in the money with their newsletter service, so that is why I've decided to sell my own newsletter ads for a bit closer to what they are actually worth. I have done well on some ad.com campaigns, like when I first ran some of them I made a solid $25 to $40 per newsletter, which is what I want now basically, $45 total per newsletter, although with Advertising.com people just get tired of these same old campaigns.

Also, I think their customer service is terrible. I have contacted them about two weeks back about a rather important issue and never got a response after that. It has been pretty discouraging. They're not well known for customer support and it shows. Then again, is there a good banner ad company in existence? I say no. A good banner ad company would charge you 20% of what you made at the most.

Do you think a literary agent would get away with charging his authors 50% to 55% of the gross? No way! I am getting killed this month because DoubleClick is going to take about $1,500 and keep all of that but $675 for me. That's totally unreasonable. I mean, it is MY site, I do all of the work from updating the site daily to dealing with customer service inquiries to sending out the newsletter, yet they keep 55%? How is that fair? It isn't! Brad Pitt wouldn't let his agent take 55% of his money, nor would any author (like me) let their agent take more than 15%. So why can an advertising AGENCY take 50% or more? Because they have a corner on the market and are ripping EVERYONE off equally.

It's quite disappointing. That's why I say you are better off eventually selling your own ads. Maybe hard to do, yes, but once you manage, you'll make three times as much as you did before I would say.
    Contact me about cheap hosting solutions!