User Tag List

Thread: Re-Directs

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re-Directs

Can someone explain how they work, and where to look for a good place that provides them?
    I currently have a site[Ezboard] that is listed on page 4 of the Google index as well as Dmoz for that category[Celebrity].
    I would like to start another ezboard, but hate to think of all of the effort that I've put into promoting my current board, going to waste.Is there a way that I can re-direct people who click the old link to us on Google, to our new site? Once we've started the new board, the old one will esentially be a ghost town, so I want to make sure that anyone clicking that link will go to where we've moved.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Thank-You!

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, use a simple meta-refresh.

Code:
    <meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="5;url=YOUR-WEB-ADDRESS">
    This will forward all visitors to your new web address.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or if your host allows it you could point your old domain name to your new website... this will mean that they go styraight to your new site and not to a page that redirects them...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if I could do either of those things.Because all ezboards are hosted on a server that belongs to them, there's no way for me to change the address.
    Also, I'm currently one of the administrators of a forum that is on an Ezboard that belongs to someone else, so I don't think there would be any way to convince Ezboard to do a re-direct for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re-Directs can be tricky with search engines as they don't tend to like them. It's always worth emailing Google to tell them that your site has been update to a new url. They're normally quite good at getting back to you. If you take a look here, it'll tell you all you need to know.

As for Dmoz, try contacting the editor of the category you're listed in, and tell them the same. Hope this helps.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion's, I'll try them out.