SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

switching main site to other domain

I have site1.com with decent amount of traffic (8GB) and well-known to some search engines, including Yahoo. Now I want to create a site2.com because it has better name and redirect site1 to it. Of course this can be easily done by signing up with mydomain.com and redirect site1.com to site2.com.

But my main question is, doing that the search engines will updated and remove site1.com from their site (putting site2.com instead). So what should I do without losing my placement in search engine? Paying for hosting just for index.html page with all keyword and meta thing, then put a note to let visitors to go to site2.com. Will that work in order to keep my site's placement? Please suggest the best solution for this. Thank you.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should direct site2 traffic over to site1 instead, this way you won't lose your good placements. Of course, this will only work properly if you aren't planning on promoting site2 heavily. In that case, would it be too much of a hassle to run both websites? If your site is database driven, this could be done very easily.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the supposed to be the same site? Just one is a later version of your site? Why not just build the second one over the first one?

Otherwise changing domain/url structure is a huge pain. You will need to get all your directory listings changed to the new correct URL. Eventually the search engines will pick up the new url but it'll take awhile. Expect to take a traffic hit for a month or two.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums