SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows 98 Free Space Issues

Ok, I am on Windows 98 with a 8,4 GB Harddisk devided into 4 partitions (happened by accident)

- C:\ 2.1 GB
    - D:\ 2.1 GB
    - E:\ 2.1 GB
    - F:\ 2.1 GB

I recently uninstalled ICQ from my C:\ because I needed space, so I uninstalled it and now had a total of almost 200mb of free space at my C:\ partition. Today I was upgrading Adobe Illustrator 9.0 and suddenly it said C:\ was full! Now, that update patch was only 2mb and ALL my Program Files NOT related to Windows 98 are installed at D:\. Basically, I only have Windows 98, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office 2000 and such other Microsoft products installed on my C:\ partition.

Now I came to the conclusion that SOMETHING keeps filling up my C:\ when it has the chance
    It's not a virus, I scanned my harddisk with Norton Antivirus 2001 (which updated its DAT every Friday evening).

I've checked Microsoft Techsupport and they do not have a solution or are aware of this problem, I once heard Windows 98 has problems calculating the amount of free space left. So it HAS 100mb free space, but says less than 4 mb or something similar.

Anyone? Help would be much appreciated!
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could use partition magic to merge all of the partitions into one, other than that I am of no use!

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply, I've tried Partition Magic 6 but I think the software sucks I would like to have those partitions stay like they are, it's just that C:\ gets flooded all the time!

WINDOWS directory: 841mb
    PROGRAM FILES directory: 500something mb!!
    Jeroen Mulder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't be your swap file by any chance? that slowly gets bigger the more you use your computer (it resets every restart though). Or maybe you've got a lot of internet files saved in the cache?.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    several things i can think of are:

1) the swap file like platinum mentioned
    2) temporary files including your browser cache and also files created by other programs (look in your windows/temp folder)
    3) savegame files??

any help?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, my SWAP file is located on F:\, clearing my temporary internet files doesn't do much because Windows 98 still 'charges' 40mb for it no matter whats in it, it keeps it reserved or something.

No savegames since all of my games are on D:\ as well.
    Jeroen Mulder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by platinum
    It wouldn't be your swap file by any chance? that slowly gets bigger the more you use your computer (it resets every restart though). Or maybe you've got a lot of internet files saved in the cache?.
    Yes check your swap file. Right click on "My Computer" - "Properties" - "Advanced" - "Then look for your swap file size...
    Ken Prescott - 21Studios freelancing design
    Graphic-Forums - The Forums for the Graphic User

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bleck. no technical reason to partition your HDD so many ways. oh well, to each his own...

Ummmm...i would search your C drive for any file in any folder larger than...say 5 meg. See what comes up.

Just a thought...good luck
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Renegade, as I said, the partitioning of my HD occured by accident because of that crappy OS called Windows98.

Grandmaster, as I said, my SWAP file is located at F:\ so that would have nothing do to with my C:\ partition.
    Jeroen Mulder

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by JMulder
    ... clearing my temporary internet files doesn't do much because Windows 98 still 'charges' 40mb for it no matter whats in it, it keeps it reserved or something.
    I think you can change that by going to the Internet Options in IE and changing the "Temporary Internet Files" Setting, I usually keep mine to 5 mb

I know you don't want to but I would seriously suggest rethinking the use of partition magic because no matter which drive you install your software in some of the system files are always gonna have to go in the C: drive. Even though your games are installed in D: most of the system files are still in C:

Besides that though, try finding old versions of files and unwanted files (this process is very tedious)
    Ali Memon
    Direct Print

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if I would use Partition Magic then it would be a lot of trouble to go through. I am not sure if you guys know this, but Partition Magic is only able to merge partitions that are next to eachother, I have:

C:\
    D:\
    E:\
    F:\

The software can only merge C and D, or D and E or E and F. So moving space from E to C would be a LOT of trouble. Only solution is buying a new HD and then format my current one.

Also, my Temporary Internet Files is NOT the problem, it can only have a MAXIMUM of around 30-40mb, so whenever I get space on my C:\ then it cannot be the Temporary Internet Files flooding it again..
    Jeroen Mulder

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest 2 things:

1- Write us down the exact error message you're getting. It will be easier to try to figure out what's happening.

2- Browse to http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee6b328. This is a user to user forum for Illustrator.

Mike
    Last edited by ALSLG; Nov 26, 2001 at 08:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had that problem constantly with win 98 and 95. You can only have so many files on the root drive.

Make some new folders, and move files into them.
    As an example, if you have a lot of pictures, move them to new folder "pictures", music to a "music" folder.

I think that will solve your problem

<edit>It is quite a bizarre setup actually, when I got the disk is full message and wanted to download say a 3Mb file, I only had to delete or move 1 file, maybe a 10k one and voila! I was able to download that file.</edit>
    Last edited by tdevil; Nov 27, 2001 at 22:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tdevil, I don't get it really, could you explain it some more? Sounds interesting!
    Jeroen Mulder

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by JMulder
    I am not sure if you guys know this, but Partition Magic is only able to merge partitions that are next to eachother, I have:

C:\
    D:\
    E:\
    F:\
    Can't you merge C:\ with D:\ and merge E:\ with F:\ then merge the two partitions that creates?

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ofcourse I can sean, but then I would lose the function of each partition, currently it's:

C:\ - OS + General Microsoft Software
    D:\ - Program Files + Games
    E:\ - Business Partition + Unreal Tournament (1.1 GB, LOL)
    F:\ MP3's
    Jeroen Mulder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't fancy buying a new hard drive or merging the partitions with pqmagic then the only thing I can suggest is that you move your microsoft software off of the C: partition and just leave the operating system on it's own. You will then be able to move the swap file back to C: as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eventually I will buy a new HD, but that doesn't solve my current problem

There's something in Windows flooding my C:\
    Jeroen Mulder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeroen, I don't know if I can explain it any better.

I once asked a techy friend how come I get a disk full error when I had 3Gbs free. He explained that the number of files (not in folders) on the C: drive is limited, if you have just one too many, you will get a disk full error.

So if you sort your loose files into folders, as suggested above, that *should* fix your problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds interesting tdevil, I just discovered something.

Windows says I only have 5mb left on C:\, but when selecting EACH directory/file and checking their properties, it says that's a total of 1.30 GB, that means I woul have around 800mb left?!

I have 26.890 files on C:\..do you happen to know that limit?
    Jeroen Mulder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If, when you go into my computer, you click on C: drive and it says 5 mbs, then that is all you have

If that is the problem, then start getting rid of stuff you really don't need, or move them to one of the partitians.

But my point with the loose files is just the loose files, not those in folders. And I don't know how many is the limit, I guess there were a few opportunities for me to count them when I was *full* but I never did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But isn't it wierd?! It says 5mb but I should have around 800mb left?! You know..that's almost the size of my SWAP file. According to Windows my SWAP file is placed on F:\

Argh shoot! I'll have to call Microsoft Techsupport, their Online Help isn't great.
    Jeroen Mulder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to www.scaramouch.com and download smart cleaner, that will clear out an unbelievable amount of unnecessary stuff.

Also in internet options/general/settings reduce file size to say 5Mbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that something like CleanSweep? If that's so, then I am NOT touching that, it already killed a laptop of my
    Jeroen Mulder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JMulder, A lot of people have given advice on this thread and you seem very reluctant to try any of it. The guys and girls on here have been using programs such as partition magic, cleansweep, etc, etc for quite a while and to my knowledge none of these programs have ever killed a system. Chill out a little and try some of the advice, you might be suprised