SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ken Evoy's approach - does it work?

I am doing some research. Is anybody using Ken Evoy's SiteBuildIt strategy - and succeeding?
    What I'm looking for is:

Are you using the theme-based content site to build a "clickstream"... and making money with affiliate links?

I want to be clear: I'm not looking for stories about how you bought a bunch of ezine ads or used FFA's or anything like that.

I am looking for specific success stories that use Evoy's model of:

1 - Build a theme-based content site
    2 - Optimize it for the search engines
    3 - Tap into the "clickstream" of search engine traffic and make your money with links to RELATED (not internet marketing) affiliate programs.

Underlying this little project of mine is the question: does anybody make money selling anything besides Internet Marketing courses/info/resources?

Or is all the money to be made in "selling shovels and picks to the miners", and not in the actual mining itself?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean?

Most people make their money selling books from Amazon, and selling items from merchants at places like CJ. And then there are banner programs where they pay you to put their banner up, like at fastclick, and Burst.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RadioRay was referring to the various products found here: http://www.sitesell.com/

Unfortunately I haven't tried any of them yet, but I have spoke with several friends that his methods do work. I would also love to hear about any results from Ken's methods.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not exactly what I meant...

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

"Most people make money selling books from Amazon"... if they do, it's news to me. According to most of what I have read, less than 2% of all affiliates make more than $100 per month!

That's why I ask... Ken Evoy says you should build a "theme-based content site" (NOT about Internet Marketing). Once you start getting siginificant traffic to that site, you make money buy selling products through affiliate programs.

But... does that really work?

Anybody making $500 or $1,000 or even $2,000 a month using this method?

THAT is what I want to know.

Nobody I know could make a "full time" living even if they were making $2,000 a month this way - that's only $24,000 a year.

So, again... is there money to be made with these "content based theme sites"? Or are the only people making money the "marketing gurus" - who make their money telling the rest of us how they did it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I see.

There's quite a few people who make a living off it.

Some I know make more than $100,000 a year, and some probably $200,000 a year off it. I'm not naming any names, however.

I expect to get to that level myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 2% number sounds right. I have signed up as a Amazon resller way back a while ago but no longer use it so i'm bringing the percentage down. I bet a ton of people are like me - or even some have signed up multiple times. But it is still not an easy thing to sell books! I normally just go directly to Amazon!

My two cents !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally don't use Amazon, it was just an example, and there's some here that make good money off it. There's thousands of merchants like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the 2% figure isnt just an amazon figure, the rate with cj is pretty similar as they have alot of people who sign up, use it once or twice and then forget about it, or just stop using it.

as for does a theme based site work? Yes! a site with no theme has very little chance of gaining large traffic, the more traffic you have and the more targeted your affiliate programs are then the more likely you are to have your visitors click n buy... meaning the more likely you are to turn clicks into $$

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make about $5-600 a month through affiliate programs with my literature site. Mainly the Duenow.com one, thats with roughly 600,000 monthly impressions.

I make around $150 a month via Amazon.com with my wilderness site, thats only about 120-150,000 monthly impressions. But on this site I make much more on advertising since it gets good demographics.

I've never heard of this Ken Evoy or whatever but its always been my opinion that for success (content wise anyways) you should make a niche content site on something you know about or have an interest in.

Other sites might be like http://www.datingreview.com/, which was build pretty much for affiliate programs. The site owner said she makes a virtual $35 cpm off it from all the affiliate programs.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I subscribed to Envoy's Affiliate Masters... an intensive 5-day e-mail course.

It has some great advice, but you could follow everything to the tee and make -->$0.

I takes dedication and time for a site to build traffic, content etc. You need to experiment with your site, then analyze the stats that result from these changes. Once you find the right combinations...your set. <----I'm still looking for mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought it. sitesell that is.

After reading through the over 800 pages of stuff that comes with it (a lot of filler material and self promotion IMHO) there are a few small nuggets of info. Not worth the money as far as I can tell. Seems like most people who are making money off his material are those who sell his material.

While there is a lot of data there, most of it can be gleaned from other sources like PB. A lot of it talks about site building(which is probably of little use to site promoters, since your site is probably already built), the traffic generating volume is about 200 pages and goes into great detail about what not to do. I learned a few things which re-inforced what I already knew, which I guess helped in a way.

If you have any specific questions, go ahead and ask and I'll try to answer them: I dont want to give any too many of Kens "secrets" in case he goes after me.....

thanks...chris
    Thanks...Chris
    ---
    Need Expert Advice? Go to AdviceTrader, where 1700+ advisors can
    bid on, or quote a price for, answering your questions.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is one item he offers that I'd like...

Maybe there is an equivalent app somewhere (or combination of them).

As part of his SiteBuildit! product (specialized, hand-holding "hosting" program), he offers a program called the "SBI Manager".

This app does the following:

1 - You enter your main keyword (let's say it's "Goldfish").

2 - The software reaches out on the net (I don't know exactly where) and grabs a list of dozens, even hundreds of related keywords.

3 - Then it calculates the supply and demand of all those keywords (how many times a term was searched-for vs. how many sites would turn up in such a query).

4 - Then it ranks the keywords based on relative profit potential (which words will bring you the most hits vs. how much it will cost in the PPC engines to get a front page listing under those words).

It seems to me this a very useful application... but I can't find the equivalent anywhere on the net...

Do you know of anything like it? (It would take hours on end to do all this by hand...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried looking in the Search Engine forums?

I've found WordTracker (www.wordtracker.com) to be quite useful, and it is kind of cheap for the service it provides.