SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Business Name Inspiration

After hours (yes, hours) of sitting here with a notepad, jotting down potential business names, I am left here with nothing but scribbles and a trash can full of crumpled paper.

I am usually very creative, but I am having a very hard time trying to come up with a business name that is unique and has an available domain.

My business covers all aspects of the web, so settling on a niche name would not be a wise decision.

What type of inspiration did you have when creating and branding your business?

With your help, maybe I can ease this insanity

Thanks in advance

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    virtualharmony.com

Sorry l suck at names.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NRLMedia
    What type of inspiration did you have when creating and branding your business?
    I took my forum username at the time (I was only on one back then - not related to web dev) which came from the name of a street I used to live near when I was in London. So my tip would be to choose something that's personal to you maybe. Doesn't really matter if no-one else gets it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The creative process can be a killer

I recently went through a similar process to name by business.

Initially, I had to decide whether I wanted a Brand or just another name with "designs" or "creative" on the end of it.

Then, once I decided I wanted a brand, I started thinking about my characteristics. Why? Because ultimately, my clients receive a service that's inspired by me. I'm my business.

So, I found a word that described me in my current state

Then, I just added prefixes that I thought would be memorable.

As I thought of ideas, I cross checked at domainsbot. You can ge good suggestions there just looking at available domains.

Oh, then I asked my kids to vote on which one they liked the best

So, I have my name all picked out and I'm loving my decision everyday. I don't think this is the normal process, if there is one...but it worked for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DomainDame
    The creative process can be a killer

I recently went through a similar process to name by business.

Initially, I had to decide whether I wanted a Brand or just another name with "designs" or "creative" on the end of it.

Then, once I decided I wanted a brand, I started thinking about my characteristics. Why? Because ultimately, my clients receive a service that's inspired by me. I'm my business.

So, I found a word that described me in my current state

Then, I just added prefixes that I thought would be memorable.

As I thought of ideas, I cross checked at domainsbot. You can ge good suggestions there just looking at available domains.

Oh, then I asked my kids to vote on which one they liked the best

So, I have my name all picked out and I'm loving my decision everyday. I don't think this is the normal process, if there is one...but it worked for me.
    That is a great process actually, much better than what I was doing. If I eventually come up with a name this way, my success is because of you.

I am looking forward to some additional hours of thinking.

If anyone has any other methods, please feel free to share.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came up with my original company name quite by chance after flipping through a clip art book years ago. I guess browsing through stock photos online could help the creative process too.

www.Istockphotos.com would be a good start - very quick and easy to browse. Search for moods, feelings, states of mind etc and take it from there.

Paul

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a list of all unregistered 4-letter .com names on NamePros, chose the only nearly-pronounceable one, and made that my company name. To avoid having to pay for a proper name check before registering the business, I added some words to it to ensure it was unique and unlikely to infringe any trademarks even if there were someone else with a similar name. "Awio Web Services LLC". Awio.com/net/info/etc, awioweb.com, awiowebservices.com.

I've seen such strange names become popular, I'm pretty sure any made up word will do as a good business name.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh good old 1514909 Ont. Inc

It's not creative but it works!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this. Tell the story of your successfull business five years from now, best case scenario. Be descriptive and entertaining. Write it down, and when you're done look for recurring themes or visual words that paint a picture.

Once you have a list of recurring themes and visual words, start looking up catchy domain names based on them.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a creative person myself, I like to visualize things - specifically by color. I've seen alot of businesses and sites with a major color included in the name and used as the overall theme of their site. (IE: BlueNile.com, etc.) Adding an adjective to a common noun could help relieve your "thinkers block". I also liked busy's suggestion of looking to the future, creating a story line, and picking out keywords from the story you created. Combine that with this technique and eventually you should find something of value.

Please keep us informed if you "discover" something. I'm interested in hearing what you come up with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    use dictionary.com's Thesaurus, it can help you come up with lots of names.

Is this for a web company, marketing company, etc?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in the very same position as you when starting out and simply couldn't make up my mind.

In the end I got so fed up and felt so much urgency to move forward that I "just picked" and chose a name whose spelling is very ambiguous. Very few people know how to spell this word. (I didn't realize this until *after* spending money on a branding campaign.)

The downside: When talking to people I always have to spell the domain! I have to say "Just visit www.blah.com; that's B-L-A-H.com".

Of course, this sucks, but I'll tell you right now: I'd *still* be thinking of a name! (And that was 2 years ago!)

Take it from someone who is living a 'bad' decision - just pick *something* you can work with and move forward! A name is such a tiny part of the recipe to the success of your business.

-Costas
    In order to understand recursion
    one must first understand recursion