SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need disclaimer/TOS for my site... where do I start?

My site http://www.pickstation is a music blog where anyone can post an mp3... so I think it would be a good idea for me to have a disclaimer or terms of service (is there a difference?) on there that specifies that I am not responsable for what my users post.

Also, while most of the posts are people linking to tracks somewhere else on the web, I also have a form where artists can upload music that they have made. Someone could of course upload music that is not theirs, so it might be good to include something specific to that as well.

Is there a place that has disclaimers/tos for different kinds of sites that you can download. Not really sure where to start looking, just know I should probably get one up ASAP. Thanks!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start at a lawyer's office. Seriously, the only way you can really make sure you're covering all the bases is to have a lawyer draft your TOS. You may be able to save money by looking over terms at similar sites, writing up your own TOS and then having a lawyer look it over and make the appropriate changes.
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately I don't have any money to spend on a lawyer. Say I find a website that is very similar to mine and their TOS seems to be pretty good. Is it legal if I just copy their TOS word for word (replacing their site name with mine of course)?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that any text on their website is probably theirs. So this would be the same as plagiarism.
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're going to need to spend the money on a lawyer. Like Josh said, stealing someone else's TOS is plagiarism plus a copyright violation. It's also no guarantee that you will be covered if someone like the recording industry goes after you.