SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accessibility critiques please

Thanks to Sitepoint I'm a better web designer. I started with tableless designs, and now, I'm aiming to accessiblity.
    This is my first try for a real accessible website, so... can I add some of those nice 508 or A buttons or not?

The site isn't finished but I want to fix any issue now.

www.redpointwebdesign.com/wordpress/

P.S. layout critiques are welcome too.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's good for now... Even there is similar layouts ( tempalate )... But, this black color goes in right place... In my opinion you should only change box with text...Maybe you should make header smaller, and footer...and make some space for text and other...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Overall the design is really great and accessible. When the text is enlarged the site scales nicely. When CSS or Images are disabled the site degrades nicely.

A few small issues:
    1. Without the CSS the navigation appears before the Logo. That's how the Search Engines see it...

2. When hovering over the recent posts the date is extremely hard to read, it's a dark color on a dark color...

3. When hovering over the Categories their also extremely hard to read, a light color on a light color...

Links should be emphasized when hovered over not the other way around.
    Last edited by nadavs; Aug 9, 2006 at 03:59.
    Browser: Firefox
    PHP Level: Beginner
    CSS/XHTML Level: Intermediate

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks really nice. Your markup is clean and quite easy to read, and the text scales well and is easy to read. I really like that the buttons scale as well, makes it look very professional.

I was tabbing through the page, and did notice that the tabbing sequence in the menu seems reversed of the actual sequence (this might be on purpose, but it's potentially confusing for keyboard users). Furthermore, after tabbing through the menu, the bottom menu is next in sequence, which makes it seem redundant.

I would consider the following sequence:
    * Menu
    * Recently
    * Search
    * Categories

Most people will want the menu, after which they'll go to the newest contents (which is likely to be what they're most interested in, if they're return visitors). The search will then be useful for looking through the site, and after this the categories will be important rather than the menu.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like it! but whats with the parrot?