SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you working with Rails full-time?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm a full time Rails developer, and I love it!

5 22.73%
  • I use Rails a lot at work but I/we still use PHP/Java/etc

5 22.73%
  • I don't work with Rails at work, but I'd love to

12 54.55%
    SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Working with Rails full time

Time for a poll

Who here works with Rails full-time? Is developing Rails apps your full-time job? Would you like it to be? Are you stuck in a rut at your current job but having a hard time finding a Rails job?

If you are using Rails at work, how long did it take you to transition from what you were using before. If you aren't using it, why not? Would you leave your current job for a full-time Rails job?

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use RoR for testing and tweaking only! more to come for me in the future!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My work consists of CSS, JavaScript, PHP, Rails, and XHTML. I'm 18 with very few expenses (Take out, a few subscriptions, random items of amusement.) so I can get by on minimal freelance work. With that said all medium to large projects are Rails based, I won't touch PHP unless it's a small project or the client is hellbent on making it worth my time.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I discovered RoR at the beginning of the year and since finding it, it has become my environment of choice. Anything new at work is developed in RoR. I still have to support my old asp and php apps, but otherwise all RoR.

At home, I still use PHP because of the limitations of my ISP's website environment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortunately (and sometimes unfortunately because of the amount of work I have) I am completely in charge of the websites for my work. I'm the only developer so I make the decisions on how things are implemented. I've started a new site at work using Rails and specifically Radiant. I already have plans to port over at least 1 if not all of our sites to RoR. Time is probably what will hold me back from doing them all but anything new will definitely be Rails. I'm really loving working with Rails.
    Erh

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a developer, so I won't vote. But for my projects, it seems that my partners and I are slowly transitioning to Rails for most development. Still have some stuff using PHP under development (or developed and needing support)... but most new undertakings are being done in RoR where appropriate.
    Josh is an anomaly
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Personal stuff only. I doubt I'll use Rails full-time at my current job ever (currently it's JSP/servlets on a Windows server with SQL Server as the db, not exactly Rails's strong suit. And we're a Windows software company, so switching server platforms will not happen).

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't work on Rails full-time (we're a Java shop), but I'm using it for my current project. Suffice to say I pretty much dislike using Java to develop web applications at my job now. I was tempted by a local company to work on Rails full-time, but decided not to follow up since I felt it wouldn't be the right thing to do (still, I was tempted).

So far, the experience has been great, and like I said I don't think I can go back (unless threatened with extreme violence).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work for myself anyway... so yeah. I work 80% with Rails now. I still have some old PHP and .NET projects, but eventually it will be 100% rails (until something better comes out).
    Ohai!