SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

subcontracting programmer

I am a seasoned web site designer and love designing ó I tried a bit of programming recently but it is not my cup of tea - so on a recent bid I am inlcuding a bid from a programmer to do the database , ecommerce, catalog, member log in /opt in etc part of the site project.

the programmer will also provide hosting for the site-

I will design the site and turn it over to him to add the datadse back end.

Two questions,

1. how do I calculate the mark up for managing the project?

and

2. how do I keep the programmer from running away with my client - as it were

I will have a separate contract with the programmerócan I include specific wording in the contract that protects me ?

Ceylan
    Ceylan

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceylan
    I am a seasoned web site designer and love designing ó I tried a bit of programming recently but it is not my cup of tea - so on a recent bid I am inlcuding a bid from a programmer to do the database , ecommerce, catalog, member log in /opt in etc part of the site project.

the programmer will also provide hosting for the site-

I will design the site and turn it over to him to add the datadse back end.

Two questions,

and

I will have a separate contract with the programmerócan I include specific wording in the contract that protects me ?

Ceylan

Hi,

1: Either you put a mark up on each hour by guessing how much project management it will involve on your side. Or you charge the actual hours spent on project managing and integrating it.

2: I see two problems here: Why do you work with a programmer that would do that, they basically destroy your relationship with you. Why do you work with a customer that would do that, they basically destroy your relationship with you as well.
    You can put a clause in a contract, but in the end you will need to enforce it. Its simply not ethical for your programmer to do that and in a small market like here, he would be out of business.

HTH, Jochen
    http://www.automatem.co.nz
    Websites, On-line Software and everything Internet
    Follow on Twitter | Connect on LinkedIn | Read on Posterous

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How you price it will depend on how your pricing model is set up: hourly or by value. Most will suggest the latter.

So first, during your talk with the client, find out what the value of completing those would be. Find out their goals and determine how to achieve those goals. Once you determine the value of the services, you'll have an idea of a price that you can charge the client. By pricing on value, you are charging them based on the result they will receive, not the time you spend on it. Thus, unless you're billing hourly, you're not marking up the programming hours. Instead, you're billing the whole project so the client will receive value from it. The programming fee will be taken out of the total in the end as a line-item cost for the project.

So then you just need to find a programmer that you would like to work with (that has a good reputation, not some random one that says they'll work for cheap ... you get what you pay for). Provide them with the project scope and request an estimate from them. They will give you an estimate for time and cost to complete that for you. As long as their estimate is below what you deep a value for the client, you're good to go.

A contract will protect you, but if you have to worry about this, then you should think of choosing a different programmer. You want to work with one you can trust. If you think they may run away with your client, then you shouldn't be working with them in the first place. Also, if you are sub-contracting, most of the time the client will not need to talk directly with the client. You will be the go-between.

Of course. Do you already have a sub-contractor contract? If not, go talk to your lawyer and have them draw one up that will protect you from all of the problems: payment terms, transfer or rights, etc. A good contract will give you security for that project and all future ones to come.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script