SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ruby w/o Rails (and some basic questions)

I'm an experienced PHP programmer who's looking to learn Ruby for my next/future projects. I've read that it's best to learn Ruby before using Rails.
    But in the future, is programming w/o Rails feasible/worthwhile in the long run?
    Should I just assume my web server is Ruby enabled?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shanest
    But in the future, is programming w/o Rails feasible/worthwhile in the long run?
    Have you ever written a PHP program without using someone else's framework? Same thing.

You can't assume that, most aren't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I happen to think that the future of Ruby lies in the fact that it can be used as a templating language, cgi, language, desktop programming and some other things just like PHP. If you start out the start out with eRuby and then later to Rails if you need it. With eRuby you can build your own framework without doing ssh, command line or any of the other nastiness associated with Rails and other frameworks.

Almost all web hosts support eRuby or are willing to set it up. Setting it up on your desktop is only a few minutes work.

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm an experienced PHP programmer who's looking to learn Ruby for my next/future projects. I've read that it's best to learn Ruby before using Rails.
    Totally. Ruby is a really interesting language, and has alot of hype around it because of Rails. However, the Ruby community is well aware that they need to keep pumping out interesting applications for Ruby to be more then a one trick pony.

Thankfully, the Ruby community are (to say the least) leaders in many of their fields and thanks to Ruby's duck taping ability, I think we will see alot more Ruby applications of significance in the future.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users