User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tips for making a professional looking design

I have tried and tried and I can never make a deisgn that i like. I am making an online custom computer computer store and I want it to look professional but it never works out. I'm not a beginner at web page design but I only have made personal sites and I need a site that sells. Do you have any design tips for making a site look professional or any tips on designing this type of site?

Thanks

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you said it's a custom computer store, so I wouldn't go mad with The Latest Effects from The Script Archives etc. Don't bother with overly complex graphics either. It's a shopping site, no need in this case.

Make it look nice and crisp. I don't have any tips because I don't consider myself too brilliant. I would say that you take time to do it. If you get it all done at once, you're doing something wrong.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a good surf round the web to get ideas, see what other people are doing. But the most important thing is to never give up, carry on working with your design, it doesn't come quick or easy but you will get there.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep it clean. Light colors and such. I prefer light greys and blues. It doesn't have to be the most artsy looking site as you're not selling art. Find an existing site that you like and get some ideas to build from

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sketch
    Find an existing site that you like and get some ideas to build from
    But, don't copy it, of course.

Look at what other sites are doing. If you see many major sites do it too, then it's a safe bet that there is some research to back that up. For instance: click-able logos or navigation bars (left, right, top, or bottom?). Read up on accessibility and usability and any other *ability you can find.

Remember that your visitors don't want to have to learn anything new when they come to your site. The most effective sites are those that are unique but also stick to the standards.

~~Hope This Helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just wrote an article on "Maintaining a Professional Looking Website". it deals more with the smaller aspects of a page (less with teh actual DESIGN), but you may find it interesting to read nonetheless. i have to wait for Nicky to read it and until i find out what will be done with it, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or navigation bars (left, right, top, or bottom?)
    Design-wise, nav bars on the right are bad. People don't look to the right for the nav bar, or, if (as discussed under the respective poll) you design in a resolution greater than 800 x 600, and thats the res the surfer is using, then he/she either loses the nav bar altogether because it's off the side of the screen, or he/she has to scroll to see it. They are used to seeing it on the left, and thats where they EXPECT to see it.

Nav bars across the top are acceptable, but the best place for them is, of course, on the left.

Bottom nav bars should be reserved for minor links, what I like to call "administrative" links (i.e. Contact | About | Feedback | Privacy Policy etc.)

Persoanlly, I am of the opinion that a nav bar is a nav bar is a nav bar. Stick it in the middle of the damn page if ya want.
    I know what a nav bar is...you know what a nav bar is...but the guru's say put it on the left.

*shrug*
    Independence is the privilege of a mature mind...not a toy for children to play with.