SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes you can find these icons in Clipart Collections. I guess that if you use them from there is doesn't violate any copyright or anything like that.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The icons are copyrighted but your also given what amounts to a royalty-free license to use them. Icons are incidentals that enhance a program but do not deliver any added functionality. Also Icons are well-known symbols of the Applications and Applets they represent, therefore they become a form of branding and advertising.
    We all know a MS-Word Document when we see its icon, same for Winzip and many others. Fair use laws allow you to use those logos (icons) to promote your business as long as the logos are not used to defame the other product. Note claims of inferiority are not usually considered defamation if they are true and supported.

With all that, I don't think it would be wise to try and sell the icons as your own creation.
    ------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    Internet Media Provider

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited March 26, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main reason why I'm asking this is because I'd like to use a couple of Windows icons on my web site to enhance a couple of links. For instance, a link to 'Home' might have the 'Home' icon on the IE toolbar. See what I'm getting at? And I'd just like to know that I'm not stepping on any toes if I do this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I've seen on dozens of web sites icons taken from Windows 95/98 and used as graphics either for links or other stuff. Is this legal? It's done on winfiles.com, webattack.com and several others that I have come across...

Is this legal to do this? Is their any legal implications that are involved? And are the icons copyrighted material owned by Microsoft? Any help to clear this up is very appreciated...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one thing that i have noticed is that the icons in some ways are exact copies of the originals. some are even taked from screen shots etc. my guess is that these icons are not held under any copyright and that MS isn't worried about them.

------------------
    Eric Jones - WR Administrator
    http://www.sitepoint.com
    eric@sitepoint.com
    ICQ 1215804 (mention WR)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I should say , don't bother about it. Just take the Windows icons. I am not sure which icons you want to use, but for example if you use a folder icon. who's Icon is that anyway... It is standarized. You see it in almost every program. I think when you stay away from the icons like the "word" "Excel" etc you'll be fine...

Just my 2 cents

Regards

------------------
    EMB
    webmaster bluegrass-webresources.com