SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting up DNS on *gulp* win98

OK OK, before you say "omg what a n00b a server on win98" i know thatsits a bad idea, but
    a - im not putting up a server 24/7 it will only be up max 3 hours a day
    b - im not allowd to install win2k or red hat on my pc as my bleein family use it.

Soi what i need to know is how the hell you set up dns to allow me to give my domain to i can use the domain to go to my site instead of my ip. Could someone either link me to a tutorial for a NEWBIE WITH NAME SERVERS or tell me how to do it on this.

Thanks

Ross.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea how to make a Win98 machine act as a true DNS, but I'm not sure that's what you really need to do. Maybe these tips will help, maybe you already know this stuff..

If it's a temporary thing, and you have a small number of PC's, you can just edit the HOSTS file in the Windows directory (of each machine). This file contains one line per entry, and each line is simply an IP address followed by the corresponding domain name. You can also put a comment in - just start it with a "#". For example, if I wanted "www.mydomain.com" to point to "192.168.0.1", I would put some lines in the HOSTS file that look like this:
    Code:
    # Sample HOSTS file entry
    192.168.0.1 www.mydomain.com
    This file is checked before searching any DNS and therefore overrides any true DNS entries.

In this file, if you want to make a domain name point to the local machine, use the IP address "127.0.0.1" This is a loopback address and always points to the current machine, no matter what it's IP address is.

Another way of referring to the local machine is to use the name "localhost". For example, I have Apache installed on my machine. To access the site I have set up on my local machine, I just open IE, and in the address line I type "http://localhost" (really the "http://" isn't even necessary) and it brings up the page. So you really don't even need to make up a domain name unless you want to open the site from other computers.

Hope this helps!
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a domain, why don't you just use your registrars DNS? I have mine through Register.com, they host my DNS for me. Its got a web based members area where i can edit my DNS settings to point to any IP I want.
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course that's the correct answer, Renegade. Assuming the site is hosted on the Internet and he actually registered the domain.

For some reason I had the idea that he was hosting the site on one of his own PCs, like an intranet sort of deal. So my answer was written accordingly. I guess because he was talking about creating a DNS that I thought he was doing it for an internal network. There's no point in registering a DNS on the Internet unless you're an ISP or a Host or something. But I guess it's hard to say what he needs it for without the details.
    Dave